Sam'l Newbould

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by David, Dec 1, 2017.

1. David

David Most Valued Member

Hello all,
    I recently searched here for saws by Newbould and discovered that we don't have many examples among our discussions. I've got a few and will post them here as a starting point. All of my examples are marked Sam'l Newbould and a couple of them are also Cast.Steel. The handle styles all vary. The second saw shown had modern screws used as replacements.

BSSM has a similar Newbould stamp dated at 1800. Since one of these saws has a closed dolphin handle I doubt it's quite that early, which I guess points up that dating simply by the mark can be as uncertain as dating by handle style. All the features should get weighed and then we can make our guess. In this case, my safely vague guess is sometime around 1800, more or less.
    David

Sam'l Newbould 1, full.jpg Sam'l Newbould 1, die stamp (1).jpg Sam'l Newbould 1, handle.jpg Sam'l Newbould 2, full.jpg Sam'l Newbould 2, die stamp.jpg Sam'l Newbould 2, handle.jpg Sam'l Newbould 3, full.jpg Sam'l Newbould 3, die stamp.jpg Sam'l Newbould 3, handle.jpg

shoarthing likes this.
  2. David

David Most Valued Member

Hello again,
    Here is a dovetail saw with the same mark. I couldn't fit all the pics on the first post.
    David

Attached Files:

3. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

David
    Thank you for sharing this wonderful grouping. I am surprised how consistent the metal work is and yet all the handles vary in some fashion from one to another. The sharp "beak" in the middle of the handle opening of the brass saw is very unusual. My gut suggests the first as being the oldest but who knows. It would have been a fairly short period for this mark anyways. Great stuff.
    enjoy
    Joe S.

4. David

David Most Valued Member

Hi Joe,
    I'm not so sure that this mark had such a short time of use. Another one with the same mark just got sold on ebay today. In my short time looking for these guys, this is the most common of their marks I've found (perhaps because I'm only looking for early saws, but nonetheless.) It'd be great if some more folks put some up here to compare. I'm glad you enjoyed them.
    David

5. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

David
    I wondered if the saw on the Bay triggered the grouping here. I will post the pick when it arrives. It will be my first. :)
    enjoy
    Joe

6. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey David et al
    As promised, some pics of Newbould saw. The stamp on the steel spine is similar to you're first saw. The 14 inch blade had been cleaned some time ago and sharpened for use, acceptable but a little coarse. There are no other maker markings such as cast steel. I don't see any evidence of a light stamp even from the cleaning. The handle is in exceptional condition for the age. Never cleaned and just very slightly bruised horns to suggest it had been used. Sleek and refined.
    enjoy
    Joe S.

Attached Files:

shoarthing likes this.
  7. David

David Most Valued Member

Hi Joe,
    Sleek and refined is just the phrase for it. I think Newbould made really nice saws and yours is certainly one to envy. I should have pursued it myself rather than posting my other saws (wink). I wish you enjoyment of it and a terrific New Year. With lots of new saws for us all.
    Regards,
    David

8. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Joe,

Saws like that, are inspiring, clean and functional, with that hard to describe design elegance. To see one in such great condition is a treat.

Ray