Robt Sorby and Sons

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by johnny50, Mar 3, 2011.

1. johnny50

johnny50 New Member

Gents,

I'm finally taking the time to try and identify a few saws I purchased in North Yorkshire, UK, while living there.

I started buying hand tools at the local auction houses in an attempt to remove myself from the sounds of electric devices; i haven't been 100% successful but I have learned much in the wake of my pursuit.

Mostly, I've learned that there are many folks like me who disdain the sound of a table saw- or at least acknowledge they are a necessary evil.

But, I digress- I am interested in just when my tools were made. The accompanying photo shows a Robt Sorby & sons from Sheffield. It has split nuts, a nib and a lamb's tongue on the handle.

Any info would be appreciated- there is so little info on the web.

PS- Any hints on photographing saw blades?

Best Regards,

johnny

[​IMG]

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello Johnny,

I always start these replies by saying that others who use the site will be able to help you more than I. But I can give you the basics.

If you look at Rays Timeline in the sticky thread at the top of the topics list, you will see that etching came in around the 1840's/50and split nuts to hold the handle on went out around 1910, possibly up to the 1st World War. So your saw is somewhere within that time period, which I accept is not all that helpful. Beyond that I cannot go. If you read many of the threads on this site (especially some originated by me), then you may come to the conclusion that dating saws with any accuracy is one of the darker of the dark arts.

If there is a hope of a better date for this saw then it may be from a catalogue where the etch on the blade is portayed.

As for photographing saws, the right angle and intensity of lighting is crucial, especially for partial etches or ground off stamps.

Speaking of which, although I may not have been a massive help to you, then I think that you have been a lot of help to me. I recently got a saw with a very worn etch and the only thing that I could see was "&Sons". This was so annoying not to be able to discern the rest, but the oval banner on your saw is very much like the renmnants of the oval banner on mine. So tentatively mine may be a Sorby.

Is there an "and Son" on the bottom banner of your etch? If so it would equate to mine and answer a question I raised about my Sorby handsaw and never having seen a "Sorby & Sons" mark. Also is the medallion on your handle a Sorby or a "Warranted Superior" one.

Fred

3. johnny50

johnny50 New Member

fred,

i have been searching this site for a few days, but am not too savvy, so thanks for the info. i went and took a few snaps of the saw with better luck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. johnny50

johnny50 New Member

PS- Just read your post..... i think the search engine is not fully capable. a search for Sorby gave me only 3 hits.

5. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Robt Sorby & Sons

This is their 086, or farmers' (or miners') saw - for rough work (although I have one which was recut to 4pt rip and is one of my very best).
    I notice that nobody has taken up the challenge of how to photograph saws!
    Professional photographers (look in various books on "Fine Tools") get good results with what I think are pretty sophisticated lighting rigs - beyond my price bracket.
    I use a digital camera, usually outdoors on bright days with cloud, or in English winters, a brightly lit window sill (avoid the glazing bars). Even so, I can't altogether avoid shadowing (either me or the camera, or both). Close ups (eg backsaw marks)are comparatively easy - it's the large etched marks that are the most difficult.
    It's helpful to others (and me for my own pictures) to put a scale on the mark or the saw.
    Other ideas please!
    (PS: Ken Hawley advises, and I can't disagree - using garnet paper as the usual abrasive on steel - garnet is harder than rust, but softer than steel. Even so, you have to be very careful on etched marks, especially the ones put on since about 1930, which are much more feeble).
    Simon

6. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Robt Sorby & Sons

Correction: sorry! (it's the jet lag - I wouldn't normally be posting replies at 4.35 in the morning, but it doesn't do anything for the porridge that currently passes for brain tissue)

The 1907 RS catalogue has the 086 as the "Best Cast Steel Ordinary joiner's saw, full polished blade"; it's their second quality in the 086 range, with three more cheaper. The 086W is the workmans'/miners'/farmers' saw