(Penes)tone, (Wheatcr)oft (& Single)ton (---- St)eel

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by David, Aug 26, 2019.

1. David

David Most Valued Member

When I got this 16" backsaw I thought it was likely to be from the early decades of the 19c, as the die stamp was low on the spine and it had a wide handle that seems to have been common then. But, being stamped poorly, all I could read of the die stamp was the right hand end of each name; tone oft ton eel. So I started with the "A"'s in BSSM, looking at each name to see if it ended with one of my marks, expecting that I might end up having to speculate as to the makeup of the partnership. As I went along I found many names ending in "ton", only two names ending in "oft" and nothing ending in "tone" Happily, I did know what the "eel" meant, just not whether it was cast or german.
    But, on page 483 I found their names, all together, Penestone, Wheatcroft & Singleton. BSSM lists them as makers of joiners tools and saws, from 1809 to 1828. The first two were merchants but Singleton remains unidentified.
    Without Simon's book I doubt I could have discovered who the makers were. Thanks again, Simon.
    David

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  2. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey David
    Your not the first one who has leafed through Simon's tome from beginning to end as well as the addendum, hoping on hope there might be a clue to an undecipherable stamp. Well done on the very nice saw.
    enjoy
    Joe S.

3. Dusty Shed Dweller

Dusty Shed Dweller Most Valued Member

Has anybody been tempted to type all the BSSM listings into say, Word, then one could use the search function or find or something to scroll through all the possibilities?

As an example if you had all listings entered, and typed in FIND = "oole" it would give you Hoole, Poole, Stantiforth & Hoole etc Lot easier than manually scrolling through the text.

4. David

David Most Valued Member

Hi Joe & Dusty,
    I know I'm not the first to search this way. And, yes, someone could type in all the BSSM listings, if they wished, and then their search would be easier. I'm just grateful that we have BSSM in the first place.
    David