Pair of open handled backsaws

Discussion in 'Saw Makers Forum' started by Mike Allen, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Member

Below are some pictures of a pair of open handled, backsaws I recently completed. Both saw plates are 12â€￾ long, .020â€￾ thick and are 2 ½â€￾ of usable with under the back. Saw plates are attached to slotted brass saw backs and I used split nuts from Tools For Working Wood.

The Birdseye Maple handled saw is 13 PPI, filed rip, and the Walnut handled saw is 14 PPI filed crosscut. I use templates for the handles graciously provided here on Back Saw Net.

I want to particularly thank Ray Gardiner for his encouragement and suggestions. My first attempt at saw making was a disaster and Ray’s encouragement and advice was the only way I was able to complete these saws successfully.

So far I've used them a couple times and they work very well for my intended objective of cutting joinery in 4/4 and thicker stock.

Many thanks to everyone who contributes here to Backs Saw Net -- I never would have attempted making saws if it wasn't for the beautiful work I've seen here. I can honestly say these tools have really increased my enjoyment of hand tool woodworking.

Best regards, Mike Allen

Attached Files:

2. planemaker

planemaker Active Member

Hi Mike. I very much like these backsaws you made. Did you continue with saw making after these 2.

Regards; Stewie.