Pair of Dovetails Saws (second try)

Discussion in 'Saw Makers Forum' started by Mike Allen, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Member

Below are some pictures of a pair of dovetail saws I recently completed. Saw plate is 1095 steel .018" thick. The Walnut handled saw his 16 PPI crosscut. The Birdseye Maple handled saw a 16 PPI rip. Handles were made from patterns graciously provided here on Back Saw Net.

These saws were made with slit brass saw backs and hand filed teeth (I was surprised by how easy it was to cut them in the .018" plate after sharpening many full-size hand size around .040" thick.).

I just finished using the saws to complete a small walnut jewelry box with dovetail and open bridle joinery for the frame and panel lid. I'm very please report they work better than I expected!

A special thank you to Ray Gardiner who made these saws possible! The first generation of backsaws I attemped using laminated brass saw backs and in the process of peening the brass rod through the saw plate/brass back laminate I created more bends in the plates than the Mississippi River!

After the time and effort invested and the poor results I achieved I was ready to give up. After writing Ray for some advice, he encouraged me to try again and made it possible for me to utilize slit brass saw backs -- thank you Ray for the encouragement, expertise and generosity!

I just finished another pair of coarser pitch, open handled backsaws using .020" saw plate and I will attempt to post some pictures in the near future.

Thanks again to the Backs Saw Net community for your inspiration and collective knowledge -- I never would've attempted this project without learning from everyone here.

Best regards, Mike Allen

Attached Files:

2. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting the pictures here, as I said on the other forum, they look great. You have an eye for the style and attention to detail.

I'm very pleased to see you've made the leap into saw making, it's a great feeling to be able to make your own tools and I think takes the enjoyment of woodworking to a whole other level.

Congratulations for persevering, and succeeding so well.

Regards
    Ray

3. planemaker

planemaker Active Member

Great work Mike. Those handles came up a treat. I also would not have got into saw making without the support Ray was available to provide me with. He deserves a lot of kudos.

Keep up the good work Mike.

Stewie.