one more from the shed.

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by robert, Aug 25, 2013.

1. robert

robert Active Member

hello all i'm back with the need for more help. i started cleaning an old split nut saw. i thought this one would be a disston #7 from the handle. this saw dose not have the label screw. a quick cleaning reveled a stamp Wm. RUSSELL. CAST STEEL.
    all i can come up with is info for a basketball player. it is very likely that the handle does not belong or it was moved do to oblong holes in the plate. photos wont help show the stamp.

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Robert,

Is it a North American saw or a British one?

If you thought that it may be a Disston 7, does that mean that it has a handle with a lamb's tongue? If so them British is on the cards although if the handle has been replaced then all we are left with is the name.

There are some Russells in HSMOB but none of them William.

A photo of the saw and stamp would be appreciated as it is not just the name but also the style of mark and lettering that may help.

Hope that you can post them.

Fred

3. robert

robert Active Member

i have a few photos after straining my eyes and the camera's lens. i have one photo that shows the saw in questions handle along with 2 other disston 7s. the saw handle with the yellow leaf placed in the center came from the russel saw. the handle with the split nuts is an early disston with an eagle screw. the darker handle is from a 1910-1916 disston hardware store saw. that lambs tounge is more ornate.

Attached Files:

4. fred0325

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the pictures.

I think that you are right about the replacement handle and the the new holes are the uncorroded, clean drilled ones.

It looks as there may be only two corroded holes from the original handle and which makes it very interesting if that is the case.

I will stick my neck out and say that it is a British saw with that style of marking.

I will try to find Wm. Russell in the online directories when the search engine speeds up. It is going painfully slowly at the moment.

Fred

I notice that Simon has just been on and posted two replies, but none, alas for your saw. He could probably bottom this one very quickly. But never mind.

5. fred0325

I can find no William Russell in the Online directories.

When you can't find someone, it normally means that the name is a brand (or that I haven't looked properly - there are a lot of Russells :( )

I am wondering if it could be a brand of the Russell/Russell Horsefield dynasty.

Anyone any ideas. Presuming, of course that it is British.

Fred