Odd medallion

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Scott M., Mar 30, 2018.

1. Scott M.

Scott M. Active Member

Hello all,

It's been a long time since I've posted anything. I found this curiosity yesterday. A friend gave me this old saw at a flea market last year. It is lightly stamped BROWNE 3 CAST STEEL WARRANTED. If memory serves they started making these in 1865. I never saw an old warranted superior medallion with a small letter R at the end. Hmmmm? Pretty beat up and filed down to within an inch of its life. Hung it on a peg with all the other old well loved saws I can't bring myself to toss.

2. Scott M.

Scott M. Active Member

Sorry accidentally posted this when I meant to save it as a draft. I'm no internet wizz. Kind of stumbling along here. I hope I can attach pictures.
    Anyhow back to my post. Long story short, I took the medallion out of the old Brownes and found something quite unexpected. Anyone ever see this before? Looks like H. DISSTON over lapping PHILADa and part of a wing. I think the marks look like the regular Disston "Aztec" medallion from the same 1865 time frame.
    Only thing I can think of is I know they had a high rate of defective bolts and screws from the casting process. Maybe some weren't too bad, were restamped, and put into their second line stuff like this Browne's #3? This medallion appears to be punched down in pretty far. The more I look at it the more my head spins trying to figure out how this medallion came to be. Love to hear any thoughts!

Best Regards,
    Scott

Attached Files:

3. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Definitely unusual, both the double stamping, and the small R.
    Drat ! More stuff to look for on my old saws.
    Thanks for posting.