Objet trouve

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Barleys, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Recently I was sent the following pictures, with the following story:

"My wife and I recently had some work done on our home in [place omitted for confidentiality: north east US coast] - a farmhouse built in 1848 - and in the wall found a handsaw.

The make is Kenyon & Sykes and it has three crowns stamped above the maker's names. In researching this saw online, it seems that it was likely made between 1800 and 1815 in Sheffield.

I have attached two photographs of the saw. Are you able to identify this saw? We are romantically hoping that it was used to build our house in 1848."

Once I'd got over my sheer envy at anyone being able to find such a glorious object in the wall of their house (rebuilding a stone 19th century farm house I never found anything more exciting than an old nail) I didn't find it all that easy to know the answer to the question: yes, the saw would certainly fit for around 1810, and apart from the rust –which I hope the owners are going to go very carefully about removing – it's in astonishingly good condition. But in the last 150 years or so there may have been other remodellings that could have left an unfortunate joiner nudging his saw off its perch only to see it disappear into the cavity of a wall 15feet below.

Pictures and email posted here for others to join in the envy.

Attached Files:

2. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

If I had been the "unfortunate joiner", I would have opened up the wall in search of my saw!

Certainly would cost him more than a few days work to pay for another.

Perhaps his apprentice dropped it and was too afraid to say anything.

It is in very nice condition, thank you Simon, for sharing this.