Newbie with Handsaws for Identification

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by sparkyman, Apr 7, 2011.

1. sparkyman

sparkyman New Member

Hi All,

New to the Forum for posting, although I have been on & off for the last few weeks trying to find more information on some old hand saws I have acquired recently.

Although they are not Backsaws, (mainly 26") I was wondering if folk would be willing to assist identification ? I don't believe any of them are really ancient or of collectable value - they are, or will be, working tools once I've cleaned them up etc. I would like, if possible, to discover some history on each and an approximate date - I believe a few of them might be late 1800's

I believe I have discovered (through this forum) that one of the saws (Fitzwilliam & Sons) was a "brand" name of Tyzack & sons ?....I've been unable to find any more information unfortunately. I'd like to start with this one and find out more if possible ? Acquired it about a month ago and have now thrown away my hardpoint XC's as it is a far superior cut !

Thought I would ask first before diving straight in with photos etc.......wanted to make sure this was the right place to ask for assistance with identification and dating.

Many Thanks
    Will

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi,

This is a direct lift from the topic about Fitzwilliam which I put on some time ago, but more truncated to cut out my digressions and so it may not be new to you. I am sure that someone will correct me if I am wrong.

There is a record of Joseph Tyzack in 1856 making plasterers tools with a home in Fitzwilliam Street. Araldite has him in 1863 as a fendermaker in Fitzwilliam Street. The first time that I can find a mention of him in relation to saws is in 1879 in Bowden Street but, as Simon points out his works appeared to link the two streets. ( This is and Sons). This is the same date as in HSMOB.

They did make the Fitzwilliam brand and he added the "and Co." later in order to tart up his image at a time of serious competition. (As per, but paraphrasing Simon). When I do not know. Nor do I know when in his career he started making the brand.

Joseph Tyzack and Son (one only) is then recorded as being from 1895 to 1915 at Valley Road in Heely and they became "Ltd" in 1899.

The Fitzwilliam that I bought off ebay but never got looks to have domed nuts which probably puts it around 1910 to WW1.

So your saw is probably (as you inferred) post 1880 up to 1915. It would be interesting to see the nuts on it. Are they ground flat on the front with split nuts on the rear or are they domed with a simple screw slot on the rear.

Is it etched or stamped and does the word "Ltd" appear anywhere on it in connection with JT and S, if indeed that appears at all on the " and Co." marked saws?

A photo would be greatly appreciated.

Fred

PS Is it Fitzwilliam and Co or Fitzwilliam and Sons. I have just realised that I have been talking "and Co" all this time when you put "and Sons"

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  3. sparkyman

sparkyman New Member

Hi Fred,

Many thanks for the input. It was indeed your post, on this forum, that I intially found out about Fitzwilliam....& Co. (my mistake with & sons).

I'll be in the workshop this weekend, will take a few good photos and then post again with full details. The "etch" is actually a stamp - first thing I noticed when I received the saw, not come across it before.

Thanks for your time - Eager to learn more !

Will

4. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member