MOD broad arrow 1953 10'" Brass open handle 15PPi

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by steveatkinson, Apr 30, 2015.

1. steveatkinson

steveatkinson Most Valued Member

Recently I had been browsing, every ones online fav, I keep promising myself, I will not buy from there ever again.
    Off track now back on.
    I saw this saw come up for auction, being MOD stores stamped, I had a good idea that they do not use rubbish, they tend to use quality tools.
    I am stuck as to who might of manufactured this saw, Broad arrow 1953 is stamped to the bottom of the blade & H2213 in middle top just below brass back, when I fist saw this saw I was surprised to only see 2 brass saw nuts affixing the handle.
    I don't know why but I was convinced it was 12" not 10, maybe thats why I was thinking it should need more saw nuts, balance is great, even in my hands, I know I have large hands it is not often I get gloves to fit.
    But I can still get a comfy 3 fingers round the handle, the handle is a little loose, that might well of been down to how it was shipped, just popped into an envelope. photo(91).JPG I am sure the H2213 might just be an MOD ref number, once again only a guess.
    It is by no means the prettiest saw I own, but I do look forward to seeing just how it cuts after a light clean with the wire wool and a little wax, keeps the worm away and helps it keep condition.
    Saw blade is 10" and 15 PPi. Any thoughts as to maker I am all ears. photo(92).JPG

2. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Steve – I think the open-handled back saw is hardest of all to date, let alone identify a maker of. The only guess I can throw in is that other saws made for the MOD of this period (probably post 1945) have an identifier that shows they were made by Sanderson Kayser, the successors to Sanderson Brothers & Newbould when they merged with Kayser, Ellison (1972). Those other saws had a printed etch-type mark and are dated 1982. Agree the number will be an internal MOD order number. As for the number of screws, properly tightened, two work fine, and more just make it look good – French cars used to have their wheels attached with just three bolts, and I doubt if they fell off very often. Now the more expensive cars always show off with five – more to do with the fact they can be put on and off with air tools, not human muscle.