Missing link in the S&J story?

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Barleys, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

This is at first glance a very unexciting saw, but I got excited when I first glimpsed the mark on US ebay (had to wait 4 months for it until our daughter arrived for a visit). I think it is a missing link in the development of Spear's business (at first with Mr Love, who didn't last v long). He took young Samuel Jackson as an apprentice during the first decade of the 19th century, and the apprentice quickly became the driving force – his notebooks of selling trips to Europe in the 1820s are in the Sheffield City Library's Archives. At some point I am guessing that Spear, having taken Jackson into partnership, had to order new marks for the saws they were making, and the size of the letters, and the fact (at least I think it's a fact) that the saw was marked with two separate punches, indicate that Jackson is the addition; older saws have simply the Spear mark, which looks very similar to this one. Later still – from only about 1880 I think –the two had new marks made which gave Jackson a more equal place, but they kept on the John Spear name alone for a long time, maybe as an extra product line?
    Now…as to dating. Here is a tentative dating sequence for Spear (& Jackson) marks up to about 1920: it may not be wholly consistent with the dates I put in the saw book, and I apologise if I'm being annoyingly inconsistent; I can't show the saws as well here, but the datings are based on the whole appearance as far as possible.
    I can't seem to place a caption, but the dates of the sequence below – all on backsaws except where noted – are c1810, c1815, c1820, c1830 (* the one I'm getting excited about), c1840, c1840, c1850, 1850-1870 (handsaw mark), 1880-1920

Attached Files:

pmcgee likes this.
  2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Thanks for the timeline with the marks, Simon.

That is the sort of thing that is so helpful with dating.

The American sourced S and J was lovely when you bought it, and it still is so.