Manwaring Brass Backed Saw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Underthedirt, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Underthedirt

Underthedirt Most Valued Member

Hello all, I thought that I'd share this little brass backed saw, it's stamped Manwaring & I believe that it may be Isaac Manwaring of London from BSSM's 1761-91 operating dates.

The saw is quite small, it's hard to even use a three fingered pistol grip, the stamp is a minuscule 15mm x 1.37mm in a recessed straight border, the folded spine is only 11.6mm deep at the toe & 12.4mm deep at the handle.

For its age it's in remarkably good condition, the fixings are in backwards, so who knows if the plate is original.

Part of a set of tools that I bought at an auction as belonging to the Bottle family of Harrietsham in Kent, a well documented English family of cabinetmakers.

This saw is very similar in size & shape to another 18th century backsaw that I've posted on here.

Regards

Mari

Attached Files:

shoarthing likes this.
  2. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Mari
    What a lovely thing that is. Have you done any research into the family to speculate on the "B B" of the Bottle family this may have belonged to in 1785? These are the really early saws that dreams are made of.
    enjoy this one
    Joe S.

Underthedirt likes this.
  3. Underthedirt

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your reply, it is my understanding that the original owner of this saw was Benjamin Bottle 1732-1807, surveyor, map maker, carpenter & joiner.
    He rebuilt the Bottle family home Dial House in Harrietsham (named for the in wall sundial stone).
    Evidently the Maidstone museum in Kent England has a few BB stamped tools dated to between 1750-54 & they have a display dedicated to the Bottle family, the family spans 14 generations to the present day.

Regards

Mari

greyhound likes this.
  4. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

A seriously interesting saw !
    [but.. Benjamin Bottle ? I was hoping it was BlueBottle, (associate of Eccles and Ned Seagoon), but you've deaded that idea]

Underthedirt likes this.
  5. Underthedirt

LOL Kiwi! You're showing you're age there...:)

Regards

Mari

6. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

My favourite topics combined, the Goon Show and 18th century saws in magnificent condition. :)

Seriously, that is one lovely saw, one of those rare unique finds. Congratulations.

The different pronunciations of Mainwaring is always interesting. The Captain in Dad's Army was Captain Mainwaring, pronounced "Mannering", but then I've also heard the same spelling pronounced "Main Wearing"

No doubt someone will come along to enlighten us.

Regards
    Ray

Underthedirt likes this.
  7. Underthedirt

Hi Ray, thanks for your reply, "Don't panic captain!", another classic icon of British comedy.....:)
    If only these lovely old saws could talk....

Regards

Mari

greyhound likes this.