Kenyon Sykes & Co Cast Steel London

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by David, May 2, 2018.

1. David

David Most Valued Member

Hello folks,
    When I spotted this saw listed by a NY tool dealer I promptly bought it. It's a 14" long brass back with 7/16" split nuts. The die stamp is unusual. First, because of the contrast between the bold strike of the Kenyon name and the faintly marked Sykes & Co. Almost as though two different people stamped them. And second, because of the Cast Steel London mark. In this case I have to think the London is to denote a location, for the unaware, since it can't possibly indicate a grade of London Spring Steel but rather is proudly Cast Steel.
    The handle also displays the little "birds mouth" at the chamfer stop that other brass backed Kenyons and Sykes' show.
    David

Attached Files:

2. Underthedirt

Underthedirt Most Valued Member

That's a beautiful saw David!
    I love the wobbly falling ampersand, so cool.
    Actually, I have an early Marshall & Cheetham brass back saw that has "London" & "Cast Steel", very similar to the picture in BSSM on page 403, maybe it could be an intended implied quality stamp......?
    Nice find, its just lovely with those chubby cheeks & fine lambs tongue, thanks for sharing it...:)

Regards

Mari