JOSEPH PEACE brass plates steel iron domed screws nuts

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Piney56, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Piney56

Piney56 Member

Hello, Have this JOSEPH PEACE saw with brass plates and steel or iron screws and nuts.The blade is 24 1/8" along the tooth line.The blade is rusted and pitted where a makers mark or etch would be I haven't tried to clean it,just wondering if PEACE marked the blades along with those brass plates.Any time frame when this saw could have been made. Thanks David

Attached Files:

2. David

David Most Valued Member

Hi David,
    BSSM says that Joseph Peace introduced these "register" plates in the mid 19c. I assume they're called that because they were registered with that number, sort of like a patent I gather. Simon or Fred may be able to give you some more definitive answers as to it's date. During that time I'm sure Peace would have been die stamping the blade with his name, etc. Your saw looks to be in pretty good shape, rust and a little wear on the horns aside. I'd spend a little time cleaning it up and see how it works for you. It's a nice saw with a big full plate. I like it.
    David

3. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

4. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

This is a very interesting thread for me, particularly the question of why the word "register" or "registered" is used for the brass plate.
    The Oxford English dictionary lists no less than 12 different usages of the word, many of them to do with recording in a list, but extending to apparently quite different meanings in the printing industry, in music, and in mechanical devices such as the "register plate" used to regulate the amount of warm air issuing from a heating device ( other meanings also).
    There is nothing in the Groves catalogue of 1841 in the way of extras, nor in Isaac Greaves (1845), and the earliest mention I can find is that saws could be had from Marshes & Shepherd in 1849, (ie before J Peace registered his design) with "Double or single brass plated handles", and in the S&J catalogue of 1880, an extra for hand saws was an "Inlaid Registered Bronzed Shield". SS Brittain (1890) sold saws, not their top quality, with "Bright steel plates and raised rivets [the illustration shows screws, but the difference was not always apparently a problem]. The 1910 S&J catalogue has a line, far from their best (the "Aetna" brand), with "One or two bright steel side plates and raised nickel plated iron screws".
    In the 1856 trade directory, Joseph Peace advertise themselves as "inventors of the plates for saw handles, registered 2288, April 29th 1850" and in 1868 as "inventors of the registered plates for saw handles..."

So I can see the register(ed) plate is entirely right for the Peace products, but I wonder whether the more generic "side plate" might be right for other makers' products.

Or is all this like the medieval questions of how many angels could dance on the head of a pin?