John Sanderson

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Joe S, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Ray et al

I am surprised I haven't seen many examples of John Sanderson's saws considering he was in business for about 30 years. Ray and HSMB say he was around from 1821-1852 at various loactions on Charles Street. It is also noted in both references that in 1833 there was a Sanderson and Son establishment. My favourite note is a William Sanderson established a "saw handle maker & beer house" manufacture in 1833 also on Charles Street. Is William a relation to John or the "Son"? ( my favourite pastime.... saws and beer and to be able to do it at the same time...bliss.)

I am including this example of a John Sanderson saw. Where in the time line, I might suggest middle. It is a 16" brass back with a plain beech handle handle held on by three, 7/16 split nuts. It has been unfortunately "brushed and cleaned" by a previous owner but it still shows a nice John Sanderson, Cast*Steel stamp.
    Has any one else seen any other examples?
    enjoy
    Joe S.

Attached Files:

2. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Joe,

Saws and beer, The saw handle makers were a funny lot, the quote I like from "Vital Statistics of Sheffield", in answer to the question are the saw handle makers in a union..

"6. Are the men in union ?
    The men are in union, but one very imperfectly formed and conducted."

Too busy drinking the profits I suspect.

The style of the saw (to my eye) certainly looks 1830ish, not much later if at all. The dot in the cast steel, the shape of the chamfer on the back, the size of the screws, the handle shape. Simon has a finely tuned sense of the balance of these factors, he could offer a more qualified opinion as to general date.

I don't mind the cleaning so much, I think it looks ok, Generally it's better not to over clean if possible, but as long as the culprit has not gone crazy with a wire brush and sanded and refinished the handle, I don't mind.

Nice saw.

Regards
    Ray

3. schmidtwj

schmidtwj Member

another John Sanderson?

I think I have a John Sanderson dovetail(?) saw, but it is in pretty poor shape. I only cleaned it up enough to see the stamp on the spine, which is steel and not brass. It is just over 12 inches long. There are three crowns around the stamp, and another stamp to the right that looks like a big "M". I didn't want to clean it much more and risk it. Please see the attached pictures. Is this the same John Sanderson and date range?

Thanks all,
    Bill

Attached Files: