Jackson Backsaw mystery

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by sawnuts, Oct 31, 2016.

1. sawnuts

sawnuts Member

I recently was given this saw and the more I look at it the more questions I have. I usually do not give the Disston Jacksons a second look but this one is interesting. I doubt this is British made but it may not be a Disston either. I am wondering if this may be a seldom seen Wm. Jackson from Monroe NY.

I understand that the "J" in Jackson may hold a clue. I have read that the J is different (shorter lower loop) on the Wm Jackson saw. I have no idea where this info came from or if it has any validity.

I have contacted Phil Baker but have not heard back yet. I'm not sure he visits here or not.

Your thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. David

David Most Valued Member

Hi Sawnuts,
    The theory that the "lazy J" Jackson was made by William Jackson in Monroe NY has gained widespread acceptance, and I'm not sure why, never having seen any proof of the idea. I've seen the "lazy J" saws that look early (split nuts, no medallion) and ones that look late. And I've read Phil's article on them without being convinced. If they all looked early, I might give the theory more credence, but as it is now, I'm way on the sidelines with it. Or not with it, whichever is clearer.
    I'm curious as to why you think this might not be Disston made (not that I think it is or isn't). The handle shape and the medallion could all plausibly be from his factory, I think.
    David

3. sawnuts

sawnuts Member

David,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have no proof that it is, or isn't a Disston product. I stated as much in the original post. At this point, until I hear some plausible argument for or against, it remains a mystery.

Mark

4. wiktor48

wiktor48 Most Valued Member

Brian,
    There is no mystery to this saw and any other saw with a "lazy J" (per David). William Jackson and his brother Daniel from Monroe, NY, was making steel (blister steel) in 1812 - 1813 and made attempt to make long crosscut saws for lumbermen. The owner of the furnace and the forge, Peter Townsend, pulled the plug on this venture after about a year and W. Jackson disappeared from the scene. The theory that Philip still promotes has no backup in any documentation or records. Relying on a shape of J being somewhat different than on later Disston saws and using it as an argument for unknown and undiscovered sawmaker is only good for Phil's imagination. I spent enough time talking to Philip about this issue and showing available documentation and rational arguments with ZERO results. Philip has this stuck into his mind and nothing will change it.

As an aside point, Disston Jackson saws went through at least 2 different shapes of the stamp but this doesn't convince Phil that a "lazy J" could be simply an early, first on a timeline, stamp by Disston, for total 3 different stamps. There are many saws with a "lazy J" stamp that have open and closed handles and their age easily fits into Disston saws with "regular" J for transition period.

5. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Brian et al.
    Well said Wiktor. There is no substitute for the dedicated study of the records and documentation as so many of the members of the site have demonstrated. We need to continue to challenge the "lazy" study that has caused so much misinformation. It doesn't mean we can't continue to sometimes trust gut instincts from the many examples that we may have experienced but to dismiss documentation and rational arguments isn't beneficial to anyone. As David suggests, the handle and the medallion really do look factory made. Whatever the history or manufacture, it is a great saw.
    enjoy
    Joe S.

6. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

While the "lazy J" theory may not be correct, it is also not a good idea to assume that all "Jackson" saws are Disstons.
    For example the c1860 broadsheet from Burger Boyle & Gamble, of Richmond, illustrated in the September 2013 MWTCA Gristmill article, clearly shows that BB&G were marketing a second line of cheaper "Jackson" handsaws and backsaws.
    It seems to me that it's possible that other sawmakers may also have sold "Jackson" saws.

7. sawnuts

sawnuts Member

Thanks for your insight.
    As it stands now, we just don't know. So my approach is to just appreciate it for what it is rather than what it could be.

I realize that I tend to be a lot easier to convince if I want to believe something. True? I think that may be the case with a lot of folks.

Next mystery? Who is this Brian person you are addressing notes to?

Mark

8. David

David Most Valued Member

To all of you, and Brian as well, wherever he is,
    Shurley Dietrich also sold both handsaws and backsaws marked Jackson & Co. And so it goes on. According to Wikipedia, Jackson is the 18th most common name in North America.