J. Taylor saw and Info Needed

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by sawnuts, Nov 1, 2016.

1. sawnuts

sawnuts Member

I'm curious if I could get any info on dating this saw and anything else you may want to add.

The bolts are unique and may help with dating.

Thanks

Mark

Attached Files:

2. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Can I offer a date of perhaps 1860-1870? The screws are uncommon, but not quite unique, as they feature on saws that have iron register plates, which were introduced in the 1850s, and similar ones are on some ornamental saws; it's hard to see how they were tightened, except maybe there are the remains of some slots on the back side of one nut – were the others maybe filed off to make it look neater? The J Taylor mark is one of the many used by Taylor Brothers, whose half erased marks – the word Advance and their Lamb and Flag – are also there. I've never tried to construct a time line of Taylor marks, which from memory don't change a lot over the years. I don't think there is anything very useful for dating in the style of the saw itself, or the handle. I think the hole near the toe is something a user put on at one time.

Simon