J H Andrew & Co, handle patch, iron domed spit-nuts

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by kiwi, Oct 12, 2015.

1. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

I paid $2 to rescue this saw from a rust pile because I thought its well worn handle repair had great character. The repair design shows the designer valued function over convention, and the "new" handle grip is polished smooth from use, indicating the effectiveness/usefulness of the odd looking repair. A fine example of a workman's patch-up to rescue a tool.
    The saw is filed 7ppi rip, and a long-time-filing-without-jointing has produced a toothline with over 1/2" concavity.
    When I got it home, investigation of the saw plate revealed the name stamp "J H Andrew & Co", so 1870s vintage.
    One domed saw nut has been replaced with a square nut, but when I noticed that the domed screw still remains on the "face" side of the handle I realised that the screw must be long enough to protrude through the handle, and inspection of the remaining domed nuts showed that they are a split-nut (or spanner nut) design that I haven't seen before (I'll need to make a special split head screwdriver if I want to remove them).
    [Somewhat similar saw screws with conical iron split nuts are on my Joseph Peace saw http://www.backsaw.net/forum/index....-raised-iron-split-nuts-plates.470/#post-3508 ]

Sometimes close investigation of old saws reveal interesting new features you've never seen before.
    [Then there's that larger pile of "other" saws which haven't revealed anything, not even a legible/guessable name stamp, and are only still here in case they can donate a saw screw or handle piece]

P1020974.JPG P1020979.JPG P1020977.JPG P1020981.JPG

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015