Info on BUCK English saws please.

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by JoyofWood, Jun 12, 2013.

1. JoyofWood

JoyofWood New Member

Over the last few years, I have acquired two English saws made by Buck, with beautifully heavy brass backs. At 14 inches long, I guess they are technically Sash saws. One has a greater cant than the other. The handles are the same, though one has had a harder life than the other.
    [​IMG]
    I run woodworking activities with kids from age 4 upwards, and these two saws are the best in my extensive collection for kids to use. Delightful. Last week, I was in a school doing woodwork with 110 kids over the day – mostly aged 5 -7. Those two saws kept going all day, alongside 4 old Disstons. Once they got the hang of sawing, many of the kids preferred using the Bucks. Not surprising.
    [​IMG]
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...MAGE_D4CD85ED-E201-45DA-B9EF-0A22D010F408.JPG
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyway, I was hoping someone may know something about these saws, their likely age (mid to late 19th century I expect?), etc, I would value your input. I have not found much in my research attempts so far...

I am new to Backsaw.net, on the recommendation of Matt Cianci (thanks Matt) so readers please let me know if I need to post the pics differently.
    Thankyou.

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Welcome to the Forum,

There are 7 Bucks listed in London in HSMOB ranging from 1826 right up to 1915 and that excludes Buck and Hickman up to 1975.

I cannot scan in a book page and so I have photographed it. Apologies for the quality but you should be able to see the listings.

Anyway, I don't know who "Buck London" was or if he was the same as "Buck Tottenham Court Road", but the latter Buck went from 1838 to 1915.

I put a Buck and Co. on a little while ago and here is part of Simon's reply:-

It's late, and I would need to be early in the day and tanked up with specially strong coffee to embark on the Buck families. British Planemakers 3rd ed is the place to go for information.

From this link http://www.backsaw.net/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=58&jfile=showthread.php&t=386

I don't have a British Planemakers and if anyone who does fancies a go at unraveling said families, please do so.

I am glad to see that these old saws (your dating is probably somewhere near right) and doing what they were meant to do, and doing it very well.

Fred

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  3. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

This is part of Ray's reply on another forum.

Read the whole thread, there's more than one page, and I put some random Buck saw pics at the end of it.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f152/buck-saw-150718/

Toby

4. fred0325

Here's a bit more of a comment by Ray from the same link as Toby's. It looks like the Bucks were all related. Although that doesn't help much with whose mark "Buck London" was.

"The Buck family name has long been synonymous with collectors and users of hand planes and other woodworking tools throughout the past 150 years or so. Spanning several generations (and continuing right up to the current day) the Buck family were a dynasty of tool makers and sellers in London and had outlets throughout other parts of Britain. In the early 19th century, brothers, George, Joseph and Matthew Buck, became very well known and respected as London toolmakers and dealers. Their sister, Ann Buck marries John Roe Hickman, who was a printer by trade. In 1840, Ann Hickman opened a small tool shop, Buck & Co, in the East End of London. As this was during the industrial revolution, where innovations in tools, machinery and technology flourished, the business did extremely well and Buck & Hickman soon moved to Whitechapel Road, London."

Fred

5. JoyofWood

JoyofWood New Member

Thanks, Fred and Toby, for your contributions!
    It seems the mystery will remain for now as to which of the Buck enterprises these saws have been made by and when - especially the Buck London model.
    Meanwhile, hundreds of people young and old will have the pleasure of using these beautiful saws in schools, festivals, and other workshops I run...
    Cheers,
    Greg.
    [​IMG]

6. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

Got a website?

Toby

7. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

Buck saws

Wonderful to see young people using classic tools!

My own opinion is that the Bucks - all that vast tribe, originally file makers from Sheffield (research by Jeff Warner is acknowledged here), also in Portsmouth, Bedford etc etc - never made their own saws, even though they sold large numbers marked with their name. They may have had them made in London (I'd put JVHill at the front as a possibility), but most likely from someone in Sheffield. Whoever was the maker, they are usually high class tools. I used to ogle their shop window in Tottenham Court Road, London, when I was a student (don't ask when that was).

shoarthing likes this.
  8. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

9. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

(inevitably) ... So ... when was that? :D
    Paul

10. fred0325

Probaly just about the time that I started secondary school.:p

Fred

11. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

Now we know how Simon got all those cool saws....he bought them NEW! :eek: :D

Toby

12. timmymacca

timmymacca Member

Hi all

I realize this thread is over a year old but thought I'd post here with a BUCK LONDON handsaw I found yesterday.

The stamp is much the same as the Buck London backsaw shown above.

[​IMG]

A London pattern handle with 4 brass split nuts.

[​IMG]

It still has its nib but looks as though it's been sharpened a few times and lost the last inch or so.

[​IMG]

Whether this can help to determine the period when the Buck London stamp was used, I don't have the knowledge to say.

Cheers

Tim