Identification request - Jones brothers ?? Rip saw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by rob1713, Sep 11, 2017.

1. rob1713

rob1713 Active Member

I have just acquired this 26" rip saw. To me, It looks like it dates from the 1870's and it is fitted with a broken warranted superior medallion.
    There is a makers stamp on the blade which looks like it says Jones Brothers Sheffield, Cast steel.
    I can find no reference to a stamp like this in BSSM, however I may be reading it incorrectly, but it looks like Jones to me.
    Can anyone help with this ?
    Regards
    Rob

Attached Files:

2. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Rob
    I squinted and turned my head a few times looking at the name and I see something other than a N as the third last letter of the name. To me it looks like a "K". I am thinking it might be might be Brookes Brothers or something else but there is no stamp in BSSM for that yet. I may be wrong but neat saw.
    enjoy
    Joe S.

3. rob1713

rob1713 Active Member

Thanks for that Joe,
    I've had a good look at the saw in all sorts of light and have to agree that the third to last letter is more likely to be a K. Working on the basis that you are right the worn letter that I thought was a J is more like an O, there is a very worn letter before this that could be a R but it is almost worn out and there is absolutely no sign of a B or indeed any letter before that.
    Therefore If we accept that these letters are 'ROOKES' then I think you are have identified the most likely candidate.

The only other options Which may be worth considering are Austin and Alfred Crookes of Crookes Roberts & Co.