I Sorby Handsaw. Another early handle/late stamp?

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Nov 30, 2010.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello All,

I just got this saw delivered today and I bought it because it looked on the Ebay picture like a mate (albeit truncated) to my ?Kingstone. Scale is always a problem on Ebay pictures. The person who sold it did not say that it had an I Sorby stamp in the blade (why I do not know as it would have added a bit of kudos to an otherwise anonymous saw). Had he done so I might not have bought it, or could not have afforded to have bought it.

It is 18 inches long with the end being chavelled off by the looks of it. The handle looks early with a London Flat. And again, the blade is stamped not etched. At one stage it would have been a very nice saw. The sawnuts are large, however - 19/32nds to 5/8ths inch.

I then started researching I Sorby. I started early because I thought that it was an early saw.

There is the following:-
    John Sorby and Sons (I and H mark) at Spittal Hill. And there are 3 Turners (bear with me on this). Pigots 1833

By Slaters 1847 there is still John Sorby but only two Turners.

By Whites 1849 there is still John Sorby but only 1 Turner left, Thomas at the Suffolk works.

By Whites 1856 there is no John Sorby but T Turner is still there.

In Whites 1862 Sorby, John and Sons now reappears but as Lockwood Brothers, 1 Occupation Road. T Turner is still there.

My next directory is Whites 1879 (I don't Know why I don't have any intermediate ones). There is now a mention of, and a trade and Corporate mark for Turner Naylor and Marples (Late Sorby and Turner) at the Northern Tool Works. The trade mark is I Sorby and the Corporate mark is the Punchinello. More interestingly T Turner of the Suffolk works is still there as well, and so another Turner must have arisen out of the ether to take Sorby over??

This is a long way of saying that my saw, which I thought was well pre 1850 is certainly post 1862 and possibly near somewhere near the 1879 mark. Which makes it quite late and therefore a little disappointing. But if it is late, the interst is then in the early handle style and the impressed mark on the blade.

Does anyone know what happened to John Sorby between (possibly 1855) and certainly 1862 and 1879. I'll try to find the directories myself, but there must be some reason that I didn't print them off.

Please don't tell me that I have researched the wrong branch of the Sorby's. If I have I am going to give up.

Once again, living in hope.
    Fred

Attached Files:

• 017.jpg
      017.jpg
      File size:
      54.4 KB
      Views:
    • 019.jpg
      019.jpg
      File size:
      52.2 KB
      Views:
    • 022.jpg
      022.jpg
      File size:
      42.2 KB
      Views:
    • 026.jpg
      026.jpg
      File size:
      49.3 KB
      Views:
    • 033.jpg
      033.jpg
      File size:
      47 KB
      Views:
    • 036.jpg
      036.jpg
      File size:
      56.4 KB
      Views:
  2. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Fred,

There is a lot of info to add about this saw, nice find.

You are correct in the dating, the clue I am putting extra weight on is the "Northern Tool Works" part of the stamp. For reasons that will become obvious later,,

Here is an "Turner Naylor & Marples" advert from 1876

[​IMG]

The thing I find interesting about this advert, is the engraving of the saw is a saw handle of the style I would expect on a saw of 1870's date. But your saw is very definately a much earlier style, maybe 1790-1810.

Just guessing here, but I wonder if they deliberately chose to make a model with the early style as a marketting ploy. Much the same as modern saw makers like Lie Nielsen are making saws in traditional styles.

Looking back to where the earlier style came from, the gentleman we are looking for is J Sorby, not sure when he first started but he is in the Universal. His mark was the original "I SORBY" not to be confused with "Isaac Sorby" who I'll come back to in a minute.

[​IMG]

By the time Pigots 1818,19,20 was printed he was already J Sorby and Sons and the mark was "I H SORBY"

[​IMG]

So the original "I SORBY" mark would have been 1790-1818 ish period now if you could establish that John Sorby's works during that period before Spital-Hill was called the "Northern Tool Works" we would have a interesting dilemma.. Actually I suspect a John Sorby from that period would probably have a very simple stamped mark, maybe just a simple "I SORBY" nothing much else.

In Kenneth Roberts "Some 19th Century woodworking tools he shows a family tree for the J Sorby branch. And other firms leading to Marples
    I'll scan it and post it here later..

Congratulations Fred, you seem to have the knack of finding rare and interesting saws. With every new saw there is something new to learn.

Regards
    Ray

3. ray

Hi Fred,
    I'm a little hesitant to post this, because I'm pretty sure it's not correct.
    But sometimes the Mysteries are the most interesting...

That said...
    Here is the Sorby Family tree, that appears in Kenneth Roberts "Some 19th Century Woodworking Tools"

[​IMG]

Simon and others have made extensive searches to try and find "Isaac Sorby" and as far as it is possible to tell, he didn't exist. Kenneth Roberts makes very few mistakes, so perhaps we can forgive this one.

The other error is that the merging of the Turner Naylor and Marples with the "J Sorby" branch must have happened earlier than the diagram shows, since we have evidence of Turner Naylor and Marples using the "I SORBY" mark as early as 1876..

Either way, the history of some of these tool making firms is a history of shifting partnerships and mergers. Makes for interesting research...:)

Regards
    Ray

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  4. ray

Hi Fred,

Apologies for the lengthy multi-part reply, but just to summarize with respect to your saw.

If the stamp was just "I SORBY" without the "NORTHERN TOOL WORKS" part of the stamp, I would have not hesitated to suggest a date of 1790-1814.

That date would have been based on style and stamping, so I guess it just goes to show, how easy it would be to get it wrong.

As time goes by and we see more saws and more information becomes available it will become clearer.

Thanks Fred, your research was spot-on.

Regards
    Ray

PS Forgot to mention the size of the screws, that would have been an additional clue to the later date.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  5. pedder

pedder Most Valued Member

6. ray

Hi Pedder,

Not sure, but Turner Naylor and Marples, (who used the I SORBY mark) continued on up until 1893 when they became Turner Naylor & Co at the same Northern Tool Works, in John Street and then in 1909 they were acquired by Wm Marples.

I don't think Wm Marples ever used the "I SORBY" mark, so I think your saw would be before 1909.

The clown trade mark ( Fred notes "Punchinello?"), is in the 1901 trade marks directory. But is not in their 1876 advertisment. So I think later than 1876

[​IMG]

Just going on the look and shape of the handle, I think later than 1880's.

Can you take a close up picture of the mark?

So it's between 1876 and 1909, I think best guess 1890's. So it's around 120 years old..

Regards
    Ray

7. pedder

pedder Most Valued Member