Holtzapffel & Deyerlein

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Barleys, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

If you're an ornamental wood turner, the name Holtzapffel (getting better at spelling it now) is one to conjure with, but tie it to Deyerlein and you can see why the mark maker balked at all those letters, and in mirror imaging. This little 6 inch brass back was on ebay without a maker's name, but I was interested by it because it spelled early in the respect of its ampersand and its castdotsteel marks. The firm of H'l (that's enough of the full spelling) had several emanations, which are fully listed in British Planemakers 3rd edition; H&D were the partners from 1805-1827, but I didn't list all the many partnerships and dates and addresses in BSSM partly because I thought there would be very few if any saws by them to be found, and partly because they were tool factors of most of what they sold; I've been shown a couple of pages from their 1844 catalogue, which lists dozens of types of saws, from 36inch circulars to 3inch screw head saws (has anyone any idea what they looked like??); it's sad that no business documents survive that might tell us where they were sourcing their saws. The name died in the 1950s.
    The other mark of H&D is from a plane, and the catalogue extract show the kind of saw of which there presumably are other examples out there somewhere. [PS Can't get the other two images to load – will try later]
    IMG_7057.JPG

shoarthing likes this.
  2. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

try again; the prices are the range.
    William Smith was a Birmingham maker of the mid 18th century, but I can't see why he is the one to be attached to the screw head saw: did these just look like a gent's saw, with their inline handle?

Image 1.jpg Image.jpg

3. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

From google;
    Holtzapffel;
    The smith's screw head-saw, fig. 702, which, in the table, follows the back saws last noticed, differs from them in proportions, and also in the handle, which resembles that of a file; the blade is generally also thicker and harder, to accommodate it to its work. Some of the screw head-saws are made considerably smaller than those noticed in the table, the blade being a piece of watch-spring fixed in a brass back; but these little tools are generally made by the watch-maker, or other artizan requiring them.

Fig. 702.

[​IMG]

Read more:http://chestofbooks.com/home-improv...g-Saws-Part-4.html#.VhwnYexViko#ixzz3oOMNiz7Y

Also, according to Lardner Cabinet Encyclopedia, "Metals", the circular saw had begun to supercede the above for top slitting wood screws in 1831
    [commonly a small circular saw held in the lathe]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015