Hiram Cutler

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Joe S, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Ray et al.
    This saw maker has been well documented but this is the first example I have ever seen. Working dates suggested in the HSMB are 1837-47 and later Cutler, Son and Chambers 1849-65 at castle Hill. It also says (Mark: WELDON). Who or what is Weldon? A mark found on saws attributed to Cutler?
    This is a 12" brass back with an open beech handle. It measures 2" depth at the toe to a 2 1/2" depth at the heal. A distinct "H Cutler Best Warranted Cast*Steel are stamped into the brass. The brass back has a dip in the centre but certainly show no evidence of been smacked to cause the distortion. It is exactly as I got it today and probably won't do anything to it other than sharpen it.

Enjoy
    Joe S.

Attached Files:

2. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

Well I found this and this,

Weldon, William (Edge tool maker).
    Residing at Colton Croft, in 1787.
    Recorded in: Gales & Martin Directory of Sheffield - 1787.

from here.

Toby

3. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Joe and Toby,

HSMOB has the Weldon mark as also being used by Weldon and Furniss at Castle Hill with dates 1814 to 1817 and who are listed as successors to Bishop Weldon and Carr (also the Weldon mark) .

On a separate listing they have Bishop Weldon and Carr at Bridge Street in 1797 and so it looks like Cutler is a successor to the successors who themselves look to have succeeded Toby's Weldon.

Now it may also be that the Carr above is the Carr from Kenyon Hutton and Carr and if so, Joe's very nice saw would have a quality lineage. Although there are a plethora of Carrs ranging from London to such an exotic location as Nottingham.

Fred

4. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Thanks Toby and Fred,
    I should have looked a little further as you have done. It seems after Weldon and Furniss in 1817, it became Furniss, Cutler and Stacey 1822-1834 and still at Castle hill. Cutler is sole owner in 1837. A long lineage at Castle Hill. I wonder if they kept the "Weldon" name out of respect, a marketing tool because it was such a respected product name or written in to the purchase of the company that any product would continue the name. If so, this saw has only Cutler's name and where is that in the time line. Just wondering.
    Joe S.

5. Barleys

Barleys Most Valued Member

The first Hiram Cutler mark I've seen, and a very odd collection of separately struck marks it is! The enormous maker's name is a first, as is cast steel within a serrated border.
    Herewith the details as I have it of this man.

CUTLER, Hiram G. SHEFFIELD
    Castle Hill 1837-1846
    CUTLER, Hiram, Son & CHAMBERS
    Castle Hill Works, Castle Hill 1854-1862
    Also listed simply as Cutler, Son & Chambers 1849-1859.
    CHAMBERS, Charles & Co
    Castle Hill Works, Castle Hill 1864-1887
    In 1837 Cutler took over the premises and presumably continued the business of Furness, Cutler & Stacey (before them, Weldon & Furniss). It is not known whether this Cutler or John/William Cutler were in the Whitham & Cutler partnership.
    1841: Hiram G. Cutler, merchant, steel converter, and saw, edge tool, file, and table, shoe and butcher knife manufacturer.
    1862: Hiram and John Edward Cutler, and Charles Chambers, merchants, and manufacturers of steel, files, edge tools, saws, and table and spring knife cutlery.
    In 1889 the defunct firm’s trade marks, pattern books, labels and account books (dating from 1780) were advertised for sale in a Sheffield newspaper.
    Trade and second quality marks: Weldon; late Cutler, Son and Chambers; A1; capital F below Maltese cross.

Weldon was a fairly big-time merchant, I think, with a primary interest, like many Sheffield saw men, in steel; he may have bought up the bankrupt saw business of Joseph Wilson (1768-1775), as I have a saw marked I.Wilson [almost completely erased] and also marked Weldon (a long story).

PS to Joe: would it possible to let me have separately (at barleys@mac.com) a close-up photo of the mark with more pixels? I would very much like to include it in the book on saws which I've now just about completed (just the index, and late additions and corrections to go): scheduled to be published early in 2013. Thanks in anticipation. Simon