Henry Fountain

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Sep 6, 2012.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

I don't normally "do" keyhole saws but this came in the same box as the 3 medallion Groves and I do not have a Henry Fountain.

As far as I can tell he is not a manufacturer and so he must be a brand - but of who??

On doing a bit of research in the Directories I noticed that in 1862 a James Sanderson (Gent) of "Drabble and" lived at a place called Fountain Villas. Also at Fountain Villas was a Henry Sanderson who is described as a merchant and manufacturer with William Sanderson and Sons, Cutlers. So putting two and two together and coming up with a number which is perhaps anything but 4, I thought what better a name for a brand than the name of your brother/son/uncle/nephew combined with his address. And I was quite pleased with myself.

That is until Simon told me that he thought that the saw was a brand of Richard F (Fountain?) Pasley of Anchor works Rockingham Street (1879 to 1887) and who, amongst other things manufactured saws.

In 1879 there is also listed a Henry William Fountain Pasley of Brocco Works, Edward Street. (1880 to 1901). This man makes lots of things including copying and embossing presses, brands and seals - but not saws. So Simon tried the same as I did, - cut and paste the names and associate them with a saw maker. But his his brand name is the result of a lot less convoluted a process than mine.

I suspect that he is right, but I can still hope that mine is. Although the saw to me looks a lot nearer to 1900 (Simon's) dates, than mine (1862).

Once again, - never mind!

Fred

Attached Files: