Help identifying mitre box

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by jwh107, May 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jwh107

jwh107 New Member

I'm hoping that someone here can help me identify this mitre box. It was my grandfather's, who was a cabinetmaker in the early 1900's.
    Img_1363_small.jpg Img_1367_small.jpg
    There are no maker's identifying marks on it anywhere. Perhaps, they were on the original legs/feet.
    The only markings are numbers indicating the number of box sides on each stop.
    It has facility to level the bed with grub screws at far left and right, and centre front and back.
    There are lead rollers at the bottom of each guide to protect the saw teeth.
    I believe that it is probably American, since I had to replace one of the grub screws and found that it's thread was 1/4" UNF.
    The saw with it is a 4" by 24", Disston No 4 with an 1896-1917 medalion.
    I've searched google for images but cannot find any mitre boxes even close.

2. Underthedirt

Underthedirt Most Valued Member

Hi, your mitre box looks like a Stanley #50 or #60 mitre box missing the original legs, featuring Trauts patented rollers / guide to fit either a panel saw or backsaw.

Regards

Mari

3. jwh107

jwh107 New Member

Hi Mari
    Thanks for the quick response.
    None of the Stanleys I found pictures of had a smooth back plate like this one, nor the Trauts rollers. Could it be that this is a very early model?
    Can you tell me more about the Trauts rollers?

I want to restore the tool to as original condition as I can, so pictures would be helpful.

John

4. Underthedirt

Underthedirt Most Valued Member

You are right John, it's reasonably earlyish, produced from 1876 until 1923, here's a photo of its entry in the Stanley Tools book.
    It sounds like a great mitre box & extra nice to have a family connection.

Regards

Mari

Attached Files:

5. jwh107

jwh107 New Member

That's the one! Thanks you so much.
    The bronze legs might be difficult. They may have to be something stylish in wood.

John

Amazing... Now that I know what it is I find this.

Last edited: May 27, 2017