G. F. Wiggins

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by houblon, Dec 20, 2018.

1. houblon

houblon Member

I could not find any information anywhere. Seems it had three different sized nuts. The smallest has been replaced by a nail. Blade has a curve.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Interesting find, and a mystery sawmaker.

A quick search of Sheffield related archives, failed to turn up anything relevant, I did find a Joseph Wiggins, a brick plant manager. Nothing in the flood archive, Nothing obvious showed up in the London Gazette.

The large amount of taper on the blade would seem to indicate a date earlier than 1850's, and the large blank label screw would probably date it later than 1820's.

So my first guess is likely to be 1820-1850 give or take, and probably not a Sheffield made saw.

HSMOB lists a saw with G.F.Wiggins Cast Steel stamp circa 1820, I wonder if that's the same?

Could it perhaps be an American maker? I can't find my copy of HSMONA, must be here somewhere...

3. houblon

houblon Member

Thanks for your reply. Upon closer inspection it is definitely a G. I'll try to get a better picture.
    Is G.F. from Sheffield?

4. ray

I don't know, I didn't find anything in a cursory Sheffield search for G.F. Wiggins, the reference in HSMOB just says "SAW", which I take to mean that a saw has been found with that marking, but no further information is available.

The HSMOB date of 1820'ish would seem to be about right for the look and style. The blade taper is very reminiscent of the 1816 Smith's Key illustrations.

I think this one will take some more detective work, and diligent searching. :)

5. ray

With your permission, I'll change the thread title to G.F. Wiggins.

Regards
    Ray

6. houblon

houblon Member

Yes of course. Here is a picture that clearly shows the G.
    Thanks.

[​IMG]