Fisher Brass Backsaw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by enjuneer, Aug 16, 2015.

1. enjuneer

enjuneer Member

I found this old split nut backsaw at an estate sale in Michigan this weekend. All I have been able to find via Google is that J. Fisher was listed as a saw maker in Cheltenham, England.

The saw itself has some issues (slipped spine, surface corrosion, chipped handle) though the plate seems to be straight and the teeth are in good condition, other than a small chip at the toe. I may clean it up and put it back to work.

Any thoughts on who J. Fisher was and how this saw found its way to Michigan?

Fisher_Saw_02.jpg Fisher_Saw_03.jpg Fisher_Saw_04.jpg Fisher_Saw_05.jpg Fisher_Saw_06.jpg

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi,

BSSM has Charles Fisher of 34 Winchcomb Street, Cheltenham as a saw maker only in 1856 but states that he probably continued business under other designations.

He does have a John Fisher at the same address from 1885 to 1939 and in 1885 he is referred to as a wholesale and retail ironmonger, brazier and tin plate worker, bell hanger and oil and colour man.

So, the saw could be from 1885 -ish onwards.

Looking at said J Fisher's occupation it could be that he exported the saw, the other option being that it was taken out in an emigrating tradesman's tool box.

Your saw though does not say J Fisher but Fisher only which gives it a chance of being from 1856 and BSSM has a mark similar to yours which is dated circa 1870.

Fred

What is the word next to the mark at the right hand side. Is it an owner's name or something else?

3. enjuneer

enjuneer Member

The stamp to the right of the Fisher mark is that of an owner. It is stamped into the side of the handle also.

4. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

Welcome bubba! :)