Disston Phila panel saw, but which model?

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Jolar, Apr 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jolar

Jolar New Member

I have looked through all resources I know of, but I haven't yet found this particular saw model. I hope somebody can help me with some info.

The medallion is of the type 1917-40, the handle seems like it's made out of beech, and it got a simple carving only on the grip. It's 21" long.

Looking at the quick glance guide at disstonianinstitute I cannot find this specific bolt pattern among any of the saws, nor any description of a beech handle with carvings. Extensive googling hasn't come up with a picture that matches the bolt pattern on this saw either. Maybe it's a model that has five bolts in longer varieties, and four in a shorter model which is more uncommon?

I haven't seen the saw in person yet as I'm waiting for it to be shipped to me, and I have only seen these pictures so far. But according to the seller there are no etchings to be found on the blade unfortunately, they have vanished.

Disston 1 - handle.jpg Disston 2 - full.jpg Disston 3 - flipped.jpg

2. Dusty Shed Dweller

Dusty Shed Dweller Most Valued Member

I'm a long way from workshop ATM but that could be an American Boy model. Basically a decent kid's saw.