Disston No7 28" rip.

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by lui, Jan 28, 2011.

1. lui

lui Most Valued Member

Hi All,

Lovely saw, 28" rip with 3 1/2 ppi, in very good condition and showing a nice breast to the saw line. Easy to date to 1896-1917

Points of interest are:

The remains of the paper sticker around the medallion. Does anyone know what it said?

The apple wood handle has a curious bit of grain that looks like a repair, but I think it's factory done. Any thoughts welcomed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  2. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Lui,

Nice Disston 7, looks almost brand new. I bet the breasting is still factory original.

The text on the Horseshoe shaped label would have read, (with usual Henry Disston modesty).....

"Years Of Competition Against All Kinds Of Prejudice Has Proved--THIS SAW--To be Superior To Any Other Manufacture. Thousands Testify To This Fact."

And on the handle another label would read...
    "Beware of Counterfeits of our No.7 Saw"

No I don't have one with an intact paper label, I got the text from here...

http://www.vintagesaws.com/museum/No7/No7.html

As someone who uses these big rip saws on a regular basis, what, in your view is the benefit of a breasted tooth line?

Regards
    Ray

PS. I suspect that handle might be American Beech rather than Apple.

3. lui

lui Most Valued Member

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the info, What I thought was a repair to the handle turns out to be the label, It's the same colour as the wood and is slightly raised, which confussed me. I'm now enlightened.

As for the breasting, it's designed to aid in the cutting of green wood. I'm not clear as to what advantage you get, as it's my first breasted hand saw. I think that it's meant to bring less teeth into contact during the cut and aid the clearing of damp saw dust.

This is generally more noticable on 2 man cross cut saws where they were cutting green all the time.

Cheers

lui