Disston Backsaw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by johnnyrsa, May 24, 2013.

1. johnnyrsa

johnnyrsa Active Member

Vintage Backsaw

Hi Guys

I recently found this old backsaw on a local antiques website, the lady says it's a Disston but as Joe S pointed out below it's not a disston. This is unfortunately the only photo, no close-up of the medallion. Can anyone maybe give me an idea of how old it could be and how much it is worth. The lady is selling it for R295 (USD30.94)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  2. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Johnny
    I don't think it is a Disston. It looks like F Brittain, Sheffield with one of the graphic medallions. Steel looks like it is good shape, and dates 1870 -1890. Worth? That is up to you but they don't make them anymore.
    Best regards
    Joe S.

3. johnnyrsa

johnnyrsa Active Member

Thanks the lady told me it's a Disston, maybe she sent me the wrong photo. I'll just ask her to double check for me.

4. Deesinister

Deesinister Most Valued Member

F Brittain

hi Johnny,
    thats definitely a Brittain.
    Id Buy it at that price.
    D

5. johnnyrsa

johnnyrsa Active Member

Ok so I finally got the correct photos from the lady, they are a little small but here they are:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. johnnyrsa

johnnyrsa Active Member

So what do you guys think? Is it worth the $31 she's asking for it? All I know is these older type back saws are extremely hard to find in South Africa. From what I can see it looks in pretty decent condition.

7. Deesinister

Deesinister Most Valued Member

Hi

Hi Johnny,
    The photo at the top shows a Brittain back saw. The photos posted below are a steel back distton pre 1917. $ wise its probably about right, especially if you configure in post to SA. Depends if you need or want a steel back Distton.
    (Shame it wasnt the Brittain)
    Hope this help.
    Al

8. johnnyrsa

johnnyrsa Active Member

yeah I'm a bit disappointed that it isn't the Britain, apparently she sold that one a couple moths ago.. oh well, the search continues. :)

9. TobyC

TobyC Most Valued Member

Yep, between 1900 and 1917 going by the USA and the label screw. Looks like a decent solid saw. As long as it isn't kinked (and it doesn't seem to be) you will have a good saw.

Toby

10. pmcgee

pmcgee Most Valued Member

Do you want a saw mainly to use? or as a piece to appreciate as a vintage tool?

Disston's are certainly functional - but might be considered a bit Kmart (Walmart?) compared to the wide spectrum of british makers that can be found on the net ... cf that Brittain saw ...

You know you're allowed more than one tho' ... right? :)

Cheers,
    Paul

11. johnnyrsa

johnnyrsa Active Member

I doubt I will be using this one, probably just going to keep it as a vintage piece along with my little Swedish back saw, all that's missing now is a solid brass backed one.
    I have a couple other back saws which I use along with a few Japanese saws.