Cuyahoga Saw Co

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by enjuneer, Jul 28, 2014.

1. enjuneer

enjuneer Member

Cuyahoga Saw Co - NEW PICS ADDED

I picked up this 7ppi rip saw over the weekend. The etch says "Cuyahoga Saw Co., Cleveland, O, Spring Steel, Taper Ground". The only information I could find on Google was a reference to an entry in Irv Schaffer's book, though there was no additional information or dates.

Despite having a Warranted Superior medallion, it seems to be a quality saw. The plate is strong and straight. The tote seems to be some type of fruitwood, though I have yet to identify it.

Can anyone shed some light on this company and the quality of saws it produced?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  2. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi enjuneer,

I had a quick look at Erv's book, and there's not much to go on. Just a "SAW" as reference.

The skew back and handle shape look like Disston.

In the Disston catalogues there are pages where you could get saws made to order with whatever etch you liked, so I'm going to guess that the "Cuyahoga Saw Co" had saws made by Disston with their custom etch.

[​IMG]

From the screw placement, I'd say the one at the bottom of the page looks close. Although the handle shape is not quite the same. The blade shape looks right.

Regards
    Ray

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  3. enjuneer

enjuneer Member

Cuyahoga Saw Co - After Cleaning

Here is the same saw after polishing the plate and repairing/refinishing the apple tote. The glue line is more visible that desired, but the repair is solid. One Backsaw.net member suggested that this saw is actually a Disston No 16 with different markings. Could be, as it has a very nice feel to it. It is light in weight and well balanced. I look forward to trying it out once it is sharpened.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Beautiful job, nicely done, it's always good to see an old saw bought back to a useful life..

I'd reckon it's good for another hundred years...

Ray