Boobbyer

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Nov 24, 2015.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

Saws are coming thick and fast at the moment. This is one I took delivery of today. When I first saw an image of it I was unsure whether it was British or American, mainly because of the name. It just sounds to me more American than British.

But I put it through Historical Directories (all of them, as there is no place stamped on the back) and got a hit in 80 directories for it. The first directory on the list was for 1901 (this looks about the right date for this saw) and there were only two entries with this name.

Anyway, to cut a short story even shorter, here is the entry:- (chopped around and amended by me)

Kelly's London Suburban Directory, 1901. [Vol. I: Northern. Part 2: Trades & Court Directories. Page 748 proper. Page 588 Hist. Directories index

Stanbope st. Clare market
    (W.C.),l4Newcastlest.Strnd.

MAP L 9.
    13 & 14 Boobbyer Joseph Hurst &
    Sons, wholesale ironmongers

At least I now know that the second initial stamped on the back is an H and not a K.

Fred

If there are any grammar police out there I know that it should be "a H" above, but I cannot pronounce it like that whilst reading it to myself so I will stick with the easier reading of "an".

Edit.

I have just mailed the images to Simon who has this firm as late as 1926.

I did feel a bit bad and lazy about only looking up one date and this shamed me into doing more research.

This is the content of an email to Simon. I am sure that he won't mind me copying here. It saves a lot of typing.

"You may have to take Boobbyer back a few years.
    I can get Boobbyer and Sons, wholesale ironmongers and brassfounders back to the P/O 1882 (pt.1 Official and Street ) directory. The major entry is on p.610. This one does not list brassfounders but earlier entries in the directory do.
    He goes back to 1841 as Boobbyer and Son ( P.O.1841 pt1 Street Commercial and Trades p.319) and this time at only 14 Stanhope not 13 and 14.
    This does not, of course mean that he purveyed saws at this time, but he definitely was in business. I can find no earlier directory with his name in.

Further Edit.

I messed up the bit about the 1841 Boobbyer. This is Jas. and Son and not Joseph Hurst and Sons. The first time that J H and Sons appears is in 1882 and I am assuming that J H was the Son of Jas. who subsequently took over the firm. I can find no directories between 1841 and 1882 and so cannot give a date, even an approximate one when J H took over.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015