Boker backsaw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by need2boat, Aug 28, 2012.

1. need2boat

need2boat Most Valued Member

I got some information from Mike stemple on the Boker name but wondered if anyone has any info or links to information. Mike seemed to think it's from the 1870's but I was thinking earlier. The label is not a screw in the handle. I'm guessing it was pressed on. The top rivet is missing although is still tight.

Mikes info:
    "Remscheid, Germany is the sister city to Solengen, which was famous for its' steel. Remscheid was where they used the steel in producing tools, swords, knives, and razors. It was founded in the 12th century and they are still making tools there today. Boker was one of the major producers of all kinds of tools and marketed them to England and America."

Joe

Attached Files:

2. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

This knife article seems to be the best Boker history article I found
    http://www.boker.de/pdf/knifeworld.pdf
    It notes that the R&H Boker , Remscheid Factory started 1829, but that the new Solingen factory opened in 1869 as "Heinrich Boker & Co", presumably replacing the old "R&H Boker, Remscheid" mark for knives
    This suggests your saw is from the 1829-1869 period, (although its possible the Remscheid factory remained open for production of R&H Boker non-cutlery products, and explain why Mike thinks the saw seems to look more 1870s-ish)
    The Boker trademark "tree" on the medallion was in use at least by 1859.
    The triple-star stamps alongside the "H&R Boker" spine stamp are interesting, and might be indicative of the time period (there is some lettering around the star that I can't read ? )

see also Wolfgang Jordan's
    http://www.holzwerken.de/museum/hersteller/boeker.phtml

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  3. need2boat

need2boat Most Valued Member

hey kiwi,

sorry for the late reply, thanks for the link and other info.

Joe