Bishop and Co (English version)

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Joe S, May 5, 2013.

1. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Ray et al
    I never test the fate of the "Saw Gods" with any hubris or gloating but I did leave the auction yesterday with a faint smile. There wasn't a single other bidder on a lot of ten no dreck saws that I would have gladly paid ten times the knock down price, even for one saw. This saw went unnoticed even by me till I got out to the truck to take a closer look at my purchases.
    I know Ray you had done some research and responded to a query on a Bishop saw back in 2008 on another forum. I don't know if you have any more to add to all the info you had and it might be a good place to get some of it onto your site. There are some pics of that saw in the GALLERY here.
    Now to this saw and the question I have. This is a 20" hand saw with a closed beech handle held on by two 7/16" wide brass split screws and nuts. One of the nuts is missing on the reverse side and has an oblong hole which seems odd. The handle has a London pattern style. As an aside, the plate feels heavier than normal esp. for this small size. In the middle of the plate is stamped "BISHOP an Co, German Steel" , encircled by three crowns.
    There is no "p" or "C" in front of the Bishop so I don't think this is a really early saw or from the Bishop, Weldon and Carr group. Ken Roberts does say there are two other Bishops in the edge tool lists but not necessarily saw makers. James Bishop and later with a Son from 1854-1900 and a Samuel Bishop at the same Young St address in an earlier 1837-1845. Goodman has a London planemaker, William Bishop at 1 Grey Coat St., Westminster in 1818 but nothing after. Doesn't seem like he would be a good candidate.
    Any ideas as to a time?
    enjoy
    Joe S.

Attached Files: