Beilby and Co

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by geojoe, Jul 27, 2014.

1. geojoe

geojoe Active Member

Greetings,

I recently happened upon another backsaw while traveling. This one is an 8-inch Beilby and Co. saw. This is a German Steel saw.

I cannot find much information on Beilby and Co. but what little I found seems to indicate this is a Birmingham rather than a Sheffield saw.

Is that correct? Any idea of its age?

Thanks much,
    Joe

Here are some photos:

Attached Files:

2. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Joe,

It looks like you were on the right track, I found Beilby & Co in the Birmingham Section of Baines 1822.. Yorkshire Gazette.

[​IMG]

So I guess the next step would be to expand the search to include Thompson, Griffin, Beilby & Co. ( I haven't done this yet )

Just from the general look and style ( always likely to be misleading :) ) it looks to my eye about right for early 1800's 1822 would not be too far amiss...

Regards
    Ray

3. geojoe

geojoe Active Member

4. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Joe,

The successor firm Thompson, Leonard, Dawes filed for bankruptcy in 1838, ( London Gazette ).

I was hoping to find a partnership dissolution notice in the Gazette, but no such luck.

Beilby & Co is still mystery... It might not even be related to Thompson, Griffin & Beilby & Co.

But If I had to guess, I'd say it might be a predecessor firm, since we can track something of the successor firms.

I found references around that time to, Thomas Beilby and a James Henry Beilby as partners in a couple of businesses in Birmingham, Booksellers and Stationers. not sawmakers.

Regards
    Ray

5. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

I remember Simon commenting at one stage that Kenyon once truncated the partnership name on a saw because it was simply too much/expensive to get on the back.

This particular partnership would certainly come into that category, although you would expect that one of the first names in the list would be the one on the saw.

The age is about right if this practice was rife around this time.

Fred

6. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

....and I have a "Thompson Griffin & Co" saw, (with no direct mention of Beilby)
    see http://www.backsaw.net/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=58&jfile=showthread.php&t=327

So we have existence data on;
    Beilby & Co (who is included in " & Co " ??)
    Thompson Griffin & Co (is Beilby included in " & Co " ??)
    Thompson Griffin Beilby & Co ("& Co" likely includes Leonard and/or Dawes)

Interesting to speculate on the sequence for these marks, and if indeed they are all related.

7. geojoe

geojoe Active Member

Thanks for these responses.

I came across a couple interesting items that could perhaps provide clues.

There appears to have been a Birmingham saw maker named Thomas Beilby.

First, T. Beilby, Birmingham saw maker shows up in a bankruptcy notice dated 14 March 1818 in the Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette. I did not read the notice but saw reference to it by going to the "Genes Reunited" website, where I "searched" for T Beilby saw maker in the British Newspaper archive. (I stumbled upon the "T Beilby" somewhere in one of my many Google searches)

Second, the British National Archives website contains the Will of Thomas Beilby, Saw Maker of Birmingham, Warwickshire dated 11 September 1827.

Since both of these websites require payment to see the actual documents, I did not proceed to that extent.

Might it be reasonable to speculate that perhaps Thomas Beilby was the owner of Beilby and Co. that went bankrupt in 1818 and then perhaps he partnered with Thompson Griffin & Co. to form Thompson Griffin Beilby & Co.?

If that is a reasonable scenario, could Kiwi's Thompson Griffin & Co. saw and my Beilby & Co. saw predate 1818--thus making them nearly 200 year-old saws?

Joe

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  8. shoarthing

shoarthing Most Valued Member

NB -
    1: Thomas Beilby, sawmaker, of Birmingham is the *petitioner* in this above bankruptcy notice, ie he seeks to make other folk bankrupt.
    1818 mar 14 bankruptcy petitioner Beilby.png
    2: Beilby's will shows him dying a genuinely rich man, with plural property, shares in the canal company & so on.
    (edit)
    3: Beilby dies in Nov 1826; Thompson (before) September 1829; Griffin late July 1830.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2023
  9. shoarthing

shoarthing Most Valued Member

Interestingly non-identical 10" open-handed backsaws by THOMPSON GRIFFIN BEILBY&Co . . . . .

TGBandCo_saws.jpeg