Beck & Co Spring

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by David, Jun 27, 2018.

1. David

David Most Valued Member

Hello All,
    I haven't had much luck finding out much about this maker, or where it was made, or when. My first impulse upon seeing it was that it was from London, because of the shape of the handle cheek which reminds me of all those Hill late Howel saws that we see (so, perhaps from the first quarter of the 19c?). But, mindful of the admonition that decisions based on handle shape are a mugs game, I searched for confirmation. And I have found nothing of use, other than an old ebay listing that shows there was a plane maker with the same name, who perhaps was from London, (if the sellers listing statement was correct). I do remember that some plane makers did make or mark saws as well as planes. But, in any event, I don't have any of the books listing English planemakers so I haven't been able to check on Beck & Co myself.

The saw is 8" long with a sizeable handle. Any help will be gratefully received.
    David

Attached Files:

2. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

David
    Beautiful. I looked at that stamp for so long and couldn't figure it out. Beck and Co is perfect and so simple. Great looking saw and wonderful in any collection.
    Goodman has Beck and Alport, London 1811-1813. Beck and Shepherd 1814-1818. Located at 46 Fish hill St. Goodman says, "Ironmongers, It is presumed that the mark Beck and Co was used so that it was not necessary to make a new mark when Beck's partners changed. At some time between 1820 and 1829 the firm's named changed to Chaplin,Son and Shepherd. "
    So probably factored as you have suggested.
    enjoy that one David
    Joe S.

3. David

David Most Valued Member

Thanks, Joe. I had looked in the London Gazette from 1790 (optimistically) to 1830 for Beck & Co Ironmongers and found nothing other than that the Clerk of the Ironmongers guild was named Beck. Never saw the company name anywhere. I'm pleased that my guess that it was from London and my guess at the first quarter of the 19c are now shown to be plausible, with your help.
    I will enjoy it. I guess you saw that I had to clean the "e" in Beck to confirm it. I had considered Buck & Co as well, but it just didn't look possible.
    David