Beardshaw & Son help dating

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Scott M., Dec 15, 2018.

1. Scott M.

Scott M. Active Member

My wife stopped into a country primitives / crafts store yesterday on her way home from work, and picked this saw up for me. She's got a good eye. She can spot split nuts from across the room!
    This saw has been painted on one side ( which has to go today! ) but the presentation side is quite nice. Stamp reads Beardshaw & Son, cast steel, and three crowns. Unfortunately the blade has been shortened a bit to 24 3/4" for what ever reason and is missing the bottom fastener. Curious the recess for this bolt and nut on each side of the handle measures 3/8" and do not appear to be messed with, while the other three are 7/16".
    I searched past Beardshaw posts and came away a little confused with the reclining ampersand vs. the vertical, and the presents of the dot between cast steel or not. German steel vs. cast steel? This saw to me looks to have a vertical ampersand and sometimes I see a dot between cast and steel and sometimes I don't. From what I read I came away with this could be an early saw. I don't know maybe I need straightened out a little. I have a full sized Rodgers, Russell, & Horsfield (BSSM 1845 - 52) with a handle that is very similar. Any thoughts and input appreciated.

Thanks,
    Scott

Attached Files:

2. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Looks like an earlier Beardshaw to me. Later Beardshaws seem to have "Beardshaw & Son" in one arc, usually over "Sheffield", and saws with "Beardshaw" arced over "& Son" are usually earlier. Also, 4-screw handles on later Beardshaw saws usually have a medallion, or the screws are decorative such as iron cone heads. (but 3-screw handles were often cheaper grade saws and often without medallions). So guessing maybe 1840s ?
    Looks to me that there is no dot between "cast" and "steel" (but I'm only looking at a picture). In your picture of the handle it appears that the screws are not sitting tight and flush with the wood, which may indicate they have been messed with and/or are replacements, and would explain the apparent odd size of the hole for the missing screw.
    Nice saw. With the painting on the off side and not overly obnoxious, I likely wouldn't bother removing the paint unless I was going to joint/sharpen and use the saw :)

Batman3000 likes this.
  3. Scott M.

Scott M. Active Member

Thanks Kiwi,
    I know what you mean about the screws, I saw that too. However the nuts on the other side don't look to have ever been messed with. They might stick up a hair, but are worn smooth with age. ( always a mystery)
    Had to take the paint off. Couldn't handle it on this one. I've left a few saws painted in my collection for various reasons, but this one bothered me. It cleaned up nice.
    Scott

Attached Files: