Bayley London (Early??)

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Jul 27, 2015.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

This maker may well have worked from London around the turn of the 19th century but this is not certain by any means.

The saw looks 1810/1815 to me but that doesn't mean a lot.

I can find no information on him in Historical directories and the London Gazette has way too many Bayley's of about the right time to sort through and I am not that desperate yet. Neither is grace's guide of use.

Any help will therefore be appreciated.

Fred

Attached Files:

shoarthing likes this.
  2. summerfi

summerfi Most Valued Member

Hi Fred,
    A Google search revealed a book published in 1838 that contains a list of bankruptcies between September 1 and December 31, 1810. The firm of "Bayley & Co., London & Birmingham, ironmongers" is on the list. If this is the same company that sold your saw, then your estimate of 1810-1815 is very close. Here is a link to the reference.

Bob

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  3. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Thanks Bob,

You have saved me an awful lot of work. I think that it must be this Bayley.

I don't know how you found the reference though as I Googled Bayley myself to start with and got nowhere and have just done it again and got equally as far.

An excellent result from you.

Fred

Edit. I have just found the bankruptcy in the London Gazette. I cannot transfer the entry as it comes out as gobbledygook if I try but for those who are interested it is on page 1440, issue 16405 of the 5th September 1810. If anyone can manage to transfer it, please feel free to do so.

Further edit.

I should have done this yesterday. This is a link to the page.. It is the left hand column, 4th paragraph down and the firm is Bayley and Foothocape and who were described as, amongst other things, Chapmans.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/16405/page/1440

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015