Another Robert Sorby (backsaw)

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Mar 23, 2011.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

I bought this for a number of reasons. The first being the pronounced beak (even though it is chipped) which I can match only with the Wingfield Rowbotham of many topics ago.

The second is the blank label screw and the two other screws of different sizes.
    The label screw is 5/8ths or perhaps 11/32nds inch. The larger of the other screws is 17/32nds ? 9/16ths and the smaller one is 15/32nds. I am quite drawn to blank label screws, they are so much more enigmatic than detailed ones.

And the third reason is the tiny radius on the lower ogee curve going into the lambs tongue (and the tongue itself which is so delicate). I only have one other saw with a curve of such a small radius and that is on a G T Gray.

Now for the blade and back. The back is a little overcleaned for my liking but is does not have the kangaroo mark, just the cross.

So what does this mean for age and quality? I have been through the Sorby lineage on my other Robert Sorby topic, and so I will not repeat it here but it may indicate that the date is from 1833 to 1847 (after HSMOB), i.e. commencement of the firm to the Kangaroo mark (1828 if you go by the Sorby website). The back is brass with a slight bevel to the lower edge and so I would hope that it is of a better quality than my normal offerings on this site. I don't know if the blank label screw indicates anything.

The is, as always, one fly in the ointment.The handle is only 3/4 (13/16ths maximum) inch thick. I quote Simon here "7/8ths thickness was the usual on all saws except the very cheapest backsaws". This is not 7/8ths (see the photo below with it compared to a much later Sorby no.35). But I am not sure that this saw is of that low a quality.

I hope that it is ealy-ish and I hope that it is of a reasonable quality, but I am afraid that Fred's golden rule will apply.

Just an aside. As soon, of course, as I mentioned not having seen a Sorby and Sons mark, two blade etches appeared with it on. I have still not seen a Sorby and Sons impressed mark on a saw back or blade, but I have searched my stock of wood bits and found just one with such a mark. (See photo below). He did it on his bits. Did he do it on his saws?

All comments, as ever, gratefuly received.

Fred

Attached Files:

2. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Fred,

Congratulations on a fine saw, looks to be in good condition, and that handle is just beautiful.

I think you have already covered all the points I was going mention.

The degree of rounding on the bottom of the spine, is I think an indicator of an earlier date. The lack of the kangaroo trademark, and the blank medallion is I think significant.

I would think your estimate of 1833 to 1847 could well be correct. Interested to hear what others think.

Regards
    Ray

3. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Nice find Fred.
    I do like the old saw handles with the hook, and the different sized screws is a nice touch too.

The brass back seems to have the same large space between the "Sorby" and "Sheffield" stamps as the saws with the added Kangaroo stamp, and I wonder if the Kangaroo stamp was just forgotten or temporarily unavailable for this saw

[Note to Ray for the Timeline; Use of different sized screws seems to relate to older saws, most commonly in old handsaws where the nose screw is often smaller diameter. These old handsaw handles also often have a straight or tapered nose rather than the modern hooked nose]