1901 Trade Marks

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by ray, Aug 3, 2008.

1. ray

ray Guest

The trademarks from Kelly\'s 1901 trade directory is now available at:-

http://www.backsaw.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=92

One trade mark that got me thinking was the Priest & Co trademark for their
    Warrented Superior Saw Screw.

[​IMG]

If they (Priest & Co) had this as a trademark, obviously only the screw is trademarked.
    So what about other makers with custom medallions, did the trade marks only apply to the
    screw?

I am always looking for more trademarks, so if anyone has any they would like to submit
    let me know. If a large enough collection of dated trademarks can be compiled, this will
    make saw identification and dating more positive.

Regards
    Ray

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Ray,

I know that a lot of water has gone under the bridge since 2008 and I don't know if you have found this directory containing trade marks in the meantime.
    Follow http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/findbykeyword.asp put Yorkshire in the Area box, 1870 in the decade box and Whites in the name box. This will bring up three directories( if I am lucky). Click on Whites 1879 "Directories" and the first page of the Whites 1879 directory of Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley, Chesterfield and Worksop will appear. Put Trade Marks in the search box at the top of this page and you will bring up a trade marks index. How it differs from the 1901 , one I haven't compared, but I am sure that it will.

I am sure that this site will be nothing new to Ray, but may be to others out there who want to research saw makers or any other 19th century industry for that matter.

It is possible to play around to your hearts content searching the other directories for trade marks. I haven't done it yet, but I will.

Fred

3. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Fred
    What a great service you did here. thanks....now I'll really never get anything done. I bet there is a treasure trove still out there that we haven't been exposed to either.
    Joe S

4. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Joe, Fred,

I posted this before, but here is another real treasure for historical research..

This is an archive of the 1864 Sheffield Flood Claims, strange, that such a tragic event in history should be such a valuable resource 150 years later.

I wonder if anything is planned for the 150th on March 11th 2114?

http://www2.shu.ac.uk/sfca/

Regards
    Ray

5. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Wow Ray
    Another great resource that I seemed to have missed you mentioning. I should pay more attention.
    I typed in "saw maker" into particulars and was amazed at some of the very recognizable names. It also included some of the "nameless" handle makers and one particular name piqued my curiosity. A " Levi Fox , Toy Dealer & Saw Handle Maker and Artist Was 74 Wicker now 76 Brunswick Road Sheffield". Not only a Toy Dealer but an Artist. Would be fun to know if one of the "over the top" mid century handles might be a product of this gentleman. He seems to also have received a sizeable award compared to other recipients but seeing he lived at the far end of the area where there might have been most of the damage would make sense. Alfred Beckett was also in the same area and he also received a sizeable award.
    Thanks again Ray
    Joe

6. Araldite

Araldite Guest

Trade Marks

The reference that I use quite often is:

http://www.sha.org/research_resources/documents/Trademarks on Base-Metal Tableware.pdf

The author intended it for identifying tableware, but it has a remarkable number of tool manufacturer's trade marks. For example, this is the reference I used to tie Fitzwilliam to Joseph Tyzack & Sons in another post I made. Look up either and you'll see them cross referenced.

Hope you find this useful.

Vince

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2010
  7. ray

Hi Araldite,

Thanks for that reference, I vaguely remember seeing it before, but could never find it again!... much appreciated.

Regards
    Ray

8. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Ray and all,

If you've looked at the Whites 1879 trade marks you have probably seen this, but just in case you haven't, an addition to the Priest and Co. medallion.

There was also William Smith and William England who who were saw screw manufacturers and I am presuming from the posted image below for William Smith that he made warranted superior medallions as well.

I have not found a category for saw screw manufacturers in any directory pre 1879. There is nothing in the directories that I can find for the 1860's.

There are screw manufacturers in Slaters of 1855 and William England is included in this but not Priest and Co. There is a Henry Smith and Co. at 51 Rockingham street which is the same address as William Smith. All this means I presume is that they made screws and not necessarily saw screws.

When did medallions first come in?

In Slaters 1847 there are screw manufacturers but none of these three appear in them.

I don't know how far this gets anyone but it might come in useful at some time.

Fred

Attached Files:

9. ray

Hi Fred,

You are correct with all the firms you mentioned, and they overlap at different times.

Don McConnell wrote a summary of firms relating to the Trade Mark of warranted superior medallions, the earliest mention of the trademark is 1879 as you've discovered. So it would have been registered sometime before that.

Here is Don McConnells summary (as posted on the old tools list)

INGLE & TRICKETT Sheffield <- 1822 - 1847
    24 West Street [1822 - 1825]
    17 Rockingham Street [1828 - 1837]
    51 Rockingham Street [1839 - 1847]
    ("Late Greaves and Ingle")

INGLE, JOSHUA Sheffield 1849 ->
    51 Rockingham Street

SMITH & CO., HENRY Sheffield <- 1852 - 1862 ->
    51 Rockingham Street
    ("Late Ingle & Trickett")

SMITH, WILLIAM HENRY Sheffield <- 1879 - 1881 ->
    51 Rockingham Street

These firms are listed as brass founders throughout, with the first
    mention of the making of saw screws in 1833. They were also listed as
    german silver founders beginning in 1849.

The second succession of firms, goes something like this, at present:

MOORWOOD & PRIEST Sheffield 1854 - 1856
    64 Scotland Street
    (Edwin Moorwood & Alfred Priest)
    PRIEST, ALFRED Sheffield 1857 - 1862 ->
    64 Scotland Street [1857]
    60 Pea Croft [1862]
    PRIEST & CO. Sheffield <- 1879 - 1925 ->
    Pea Croft Works, 60 Pea Croft [1879 - 1893]
    Pea Croft Brass Works, 60 Solly Street [1901-1905]
    188 Brook Street [1911]
    56 Eyre Street [1919 - 1925]

These firms were also listed as brass founders throughout their tenure,
    and the manufacture of saw screws and german silver was mentioned from the start.

As far as the question, when did medallions (sometimes called label screws) first appear, I think the earliest are in the 1820-1830 period.

Regards
    Ray