Unusual Disston medallion

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by MountainAsh, Sep 16, 2021.

1. MountainAsh

MountainAsh Member

Hi all. I have a couple of Disston handsaws with a medallion that that doesnt appear on the "Disstonian Institute" website. They are steel rather than brass and have "Disston " cast twice, above and below the Disston symbol (in the place of the more common "Philada", "Phila" or "U.S.A."). In my researching I have discovered that at one stage Disston had a factory in Sydney, Australia and I am wondering if these are Australian "made" versions

2. David

David Most Valued Member

Pictures always help these discussions. It does sound as though you are correct in your suggestion.

3. MountainAsh

MountainAsh Member

Thanks David. I will post some (he says confidently not having done it before).

4. MountainAsh

MountainAsh Member

Hi there. Attached are 2 that I have (and I realise I have a 3rd)

Attached Files:

5. David

David Most Valued Member

I've never seen that Disston/Disston medallion on any saws here in the US of A. Your having found three of them in Australia sure points towards their having been produced there. Sounds likely to me

6. Dusty Shed Dweller

Dusty Shed Dweller Most Valued Member

The "Disston-Disston" steel medallion was used on the saws assembled in Sydney (by Porters) during the 1950s. Exclusively used in Australia, not issued in the US/Canada. Imported blades were fitted with handles typically made from "coachwood" (Tas Myrtle - nothofagus).

7. MountainAsh

MountainAsh Member

Thanks DSD. The Myrtle makes sense now you mention it.