Composite steel/brass sawscrews

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by spanner48, Sep 14, 2021.

1. spanner48

spanner48 New Member

I found a set of four of these on an 1890-1910 panel saw. Otherwise unmarked/unbranded;but with these sawscrews, where the steel central studding was peened into the face-side [unslotted] nut, but turned into the reverse-side [slotted] one.

Give the problems with full brass sawscrew shanks being eroded away by fretting against the plate - if there's any movement - this seems like a better solution. And although the saw itself is nothing special, the fit of the nuts on each side into the tote was significantly tighter and more precise than any I've seen elsewhere.

Has anyone got information on them?

Attached Files:

2. shoarthing

shoarthing Most Valued Member

Hi - they have the appearance of a form of “Chicago screw” - with F<>F brass screws amd a bit of male m/s thread between. You can see where it has been pinned into one end-piece. I’ve taken similar screws out of medium-quality C20th handsaws. They work OK, but must lack the perfect engagement fit between a brass or steel cylinder & the holes in the sawplate.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  3. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Fabrication appears a bit too complicated/costly to be a commercial success. I wonder if its an Owner fix (and much better execution than the replacement steel pins on my Taylor saw)
    [​IMG]

4. Dusty Shed Dweller

Dusty Shed Dweller Most Valued Member

I see a few older medallions (pre-1890) whereby the medallion itself is a separate disc, soldered or pressed into the outer "cup" part of the medallion. Later medallions at typically one piece brass with an integral threaded shank.