John Oldfield 9" London Spring Tenon Saw

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Gareth, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Gareth

Gareth Member

Hi was wondering if anyone had any information the maker of this saw (its not mine by the way and i only have this photo for the moment). The marks are

JOHN OLDFIELD CAST STEEL WARRANTED LONDON SPRING

I cant find man Oldfield in the BSSM or the update. I would have chalked it up to a secondary line but the marks indicated a high quality saw.

I did a quick search for john oldfield in the sheffield records ( I have no indication the saw was made in sheffield but i figured id play the numbers).

I found several Oldfields in the these directories to
    1852 Sheffield trade directory.
    "Oldfield Elizabeth, victualler, Pheasant Inn, 10 Broad street, Park
    Oldfield John, file cutter, 22 Gray street
    Oldfield Joseph, (j.) 8 Bowden street
    Oldfield Thomas, auctioneer, Corn Exchange, Broad street; house: Lord street
    Oldfield Thomas, saw handle maker & beerhouse, 84 Allen street"

John Oldfield is listed as a file cutter (im pretty sure this a trade that associated with saw making) living on gray street in multiple records between between 1852 - 1875

Thomas old field is Listed as a saw handle maker living at 84 Allen street between 1845 -1875

Richard groves and sons have multiple addresses on allen street including 63 allen st very Thomas Oldfield's address at 84
    [​IMG]
    SHEFFIELDINDEXERS.COM
    The Sheffield Indexers - Welcome to

cheers
    john oldfield Cast steel Warranted London Spring.jpg

Charlie Earnest likes this.
  2. Kerry

Kerry Active Member

Interesting puzzle Gareth. Can you share a photo of the handle? How does it compare to Groves?

Gareth and Charlie Earnest like this.
  3. Menno

Menno Member

Hi All,

This will be my first post here, thanks for having me.
    I own the above saw that Gareth kindly enquired about, and he did quite the investigation!
    I won it on an auction site here in New Zealand.
    It is an 8 inch dovetail saw in remarkable good condition, and looks to be made to a high standard.
    Below is a picture of the handle, It's a bit blurry but you'll get the idea.
    I'll post a few more pictures later,

Regards, Menno

Attached Files:

Underthedirt likes this.
  4. Menno

Menno Member

Hi, all.
    Here are s few more pictures of the 8 inch John Oldfield saw. In the last picture I included a 9 inch R. Groves for comparison. The handle is made out of Beech, and the 'London spring' suggests to me it's English. I look forward to your thoughts.

Attached Files:

Gareth and Kerry like this.
  5. gmac

gmac Active Member

Hi Menno,

both are nice looking saws in good condition but,
    I reckon the Groves may be cut down from a 10" saw.

As most manufacturers sizes went up in 2" increments.

Does the stamp on the spine line up to be in the middle of the blade??

Graham.

6. Menno

Menno Member

Thanks Graham,
    I think you are right regarding the R. Groves saw. Even though the attached picture shows the stamp is relatively central, the brass nose is not rounded of as smoothly. I own another 16 inch groves backsaw, where the blade cracked just under the brass toe, and have seen a picture of a groves saw with the same issue. Could this be a pattern with groves saws because they used such hard steel?

Attached Files:

7. Gareth

Gareth Member

Hello again Menno i see Oldfield is still somewhat of a mystery Hope your doing well. Gareth.

8. Menno

Menno Member

Thanks for your reply, Gareth.
    Indeed it remains a mystery! Cheers, Menno

9. kiwi

kiwi Most Valued Member

Probably a retailer, possibly this Ironmonger from Hyde ( Kelly's 1902 Cheshire Trades Directory listing p905),
    [although John Oldfield is a fairly common name and there may be other possible candidates]

upload_2021-5-3_19-54-11.png

shoarthing likes this.
  10. Menno

Menno Member

Thank you Kiwi,

It's been a while since I've last checked.
    My goodness how on earth did you find out the above.
    My google abilities are clearly lacking!

I'm assuming you are based in NZ like me?

Regards, Menno