Wm. Marsden

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Charlie Earnest, Oct 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Charlie Earnest

Charlie Earnest Member

Before I start this post I would like to thank Ray for helping me get registered and confirmed. I have been lurking in the background but regularly visited for research and information.

This is a Wm Marsden 10” dovetail saw. The blade is tapered slightly from 1- 3/4” at the point where the spine enters the mortise to 1- 5/8” at the toe. It is currently filed (badly) at 12 1/2- 13 tpi. The spine has a slight taper in height from heel 11/16ths to toe 43/64ths and also tapers in thickness (width) from 1/4” at the heel to 7/32” at the toe (measured at the thickest part of the fold). The top horn has been repaired. The handle appears to be English beech although more rift than quarter sawn. The stamp sits very low on the spine and I think the CAST STEEL has a • in between the words, although I’m not positive due to the size. It could just be an errant ding that happens to be in the right place. Overall a nice comfortable saw. Based on my copy of BSSM I would think it was made c1830 and seems to match the stamp in the book. Although mine seems to measure 40mm instead of the 38mm the book has. Most likely an error by me. Any thoughts would be appreciated. If I left out anything I’ll be happy to add the info if I have it.

Attached Files:

2. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for posting that, I was contacted a few years back by a Valerie Marsden who was looking for a some information and a saw for her grandfather, I sent her a handsaw and she gave it to him for a Christmas present, brings back pleasant memories of being able to help someone out. The Marsdens are a confusing and tangled lot as far as saw making chronology goes, according to Simon, it's one of those families that are almost impossible to trace with any clarity.

The stamp low on the spine is suggestive of an early date, and I'd be thinking it's likely to be made by the William Marsden who worked from Norfolk Lane in the late 1820's

Not bad condition for a 200 year old saw!

3. Charlie Earnest

Charlie Earnest Member

Thank you Ray. I picked up this saw before I had received my copy of BSSM and remember finding some posts by you regarding the Marsden family. This site has been invaluable to me in trying to find information.

4. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Charlie, I forgot to mention that the "dot" between the words CAST and STEEL generally indicate a saw that's earlier than 1830's So that's additional confirmation of an early date.