Turner Yeomans

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Nov 14, 2014.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

BSSM does not have Turner Yeomans as such. It does have Turner Yeomans and Yates and it is possible that this is an abbreviation of that mark.

Turner Yeomans and Yates is recorded in the 1833 directory only. I have always thought that Cast(dot) was a little earlier than 1833 but this saw also has the place of manufacture on it which BSSM put at 1830 - ish onwards. Yeomans of any description does not exist as a sawmaker in Pigots 1829 and so this is possibly an 1830 saw.

You will notice that the back is very clean and I will admit to inflicting this outrage upon the person of this saw. However I did it only the remove the marks in the brass created by what must have been a wire brush attached to a drill. I suppose that you could argue that once such damage had been done then that is part of the history of the saw, but to be honest i couldn't bear to look at the disfigurement.

Hopefully what I have done, time, the damp Scottish weather and an equally damp Scottish house will put right.

Frerd

Attached Files:

2. wiktor48

wiktor48 Most Valued Member

Hi Fred,

I like this little saw very much. Any chance for more pictures? Close up of the handle and three views of the other side?

3. David

David Most Valued Member

Hello Fred,

I fully agree with the action you took to let your saw get back to a naturally aged state. Some prior treatments deserve correction, and wire brushing is one of them. It's a fine saw.
    David

tonyba likes this.
  4. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Fred et al.
    What a neat saw and I think you did well in making the saw a little more easy on the eyes after someone's "Inflicting this outrage" upon the saw. I have found nothing on just the "Turner Yeoman" and I don't know if it would be prior or later than Turner Yeoman and Yates. Not trying to hijack the discussion here is some pics of a Turner Yeoman and Yates. Unfortunately you just make out most of the name but very little of the steel. Turner yeoman yates gift2014-11-15.JPG Turner yeoman yates gift2014-11-15_1.JPG Turner yeoman yates gift2014-11-15_7.JPG Turner yeoman yates  gift2014-11-15_4.JPG

My issue with the saw is the magificent job on the filing. It will stay as it is since it will probably never cut any of my wood.
    Thanks Fred
    Joe S.

5. fred0325

Thanks all three of you for the replies,

I will post some extra photo's on Sunday or Monday. It is a case unfortunately of babysitting getting in the way of the serious business of saws.

Hijack away Joe. You can never have too many pictures of saws, or talk about them. Whilst your saw has a toothline that is less straight, my saw is not as good as it may look on the pictures. There is a crack in the blade just below the back at the toe and there is corrosion by the handle to the extent that the rear part of the blade is virtually floating.

I initially thought that Turner Yeomans may have come before or after the "Yates" incarnation of the company, (possibly before, re the Cast (dot)). It was Simon who suggested that it may be a truncated form of TYY, thus being an example of the company adhering to the well known Yorkshire traits of prudence and frugality (or sheer pennypinching and meanness in not wanting to make an extra stamp of extend the one used).

I still hold out hope that it may be a separate company based solely on the ability of partnerships to form and dissolve quickly at this time. It may be that TY only did not last long enough to be recorded in any of the directories.

Fred

6. fred0325

Apologies for not posting the extra pictures when I said that I would, but I need to buy a new card reader.

Will post them when I get one.

Fred

7. fred0325

Attached are extra images of the saw.

Turner Yeomans extra 002.jpg Turner Yeomans extra 003.jpg Turner Yeomans extra 005.jpg Turner Yeomans extra 009.jpg Turner Yeomans extra 011.jpg Turner Yeomans extra 012.jpg

8. wiktor48

wiktor48 Most Valued Member

Hi Fred, Thanks for the pictures. I like this saw very much!

9. tonyba

tonyba Active Member

Hello All
    Images attached of a Turner and Yeomans handsaw I recently acquired.
    In surprisingly good order considering its probable age.
    Handle has been washed and given a large drink of oil; split nuts appear untouched.
    Sheffield in Capitals is barely legible; no evidence of Cast Steel mark.
    Cheers
    Tony

Attached Files: