Edward Davies info?

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Scott M., Jul 7, 2019.

1. Scott M.

Scott M. Active Member

Hello all,
    Just picked this saw up at a flea market for $5. I don't find many back saws this age in the "wild." 1850-60ish? I am by no means an expert on English stuff. The handle is pretty beat up and I could not see a makers name until I got it home and lightly cleaned it. The plate is 16in. Turns out it is stamped low on the spine Edward Davies and far to the right cast steel. No sign of a location of manufacture. I looked it up in BSSM and found a small entry. It states "not identified; a hand saw of c1890 has been recorded at online auction, with the mark EDWARD DAVIES/CAST STEEL. The name does not occur in any Sheffield
    trade directory between 1850 and 1920. It is possible that it was made for the hammer maker and ironmonger David Davies, who worked during the last quarter of the 19th century, and who may have had a relative with this forename."
    From this entry this sounds like it may be something uncommon? Anyone know or find anything else about Edward Davies?
    Thanks,
    Scott

2. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Scott
    It seems that the Davies/Davis name causes all kinds of questions on this forum. Is it possible we could get some pics of the saw and any of the stamp or etch? It might help in giving some sort of time line or even a ball park where we might start looking based on the "look" or the clues to a possible date. Looking forward to a pic or two.
    enjoy
    Joe S.

3. Scott M.

Scott M. Active Member

Hey Joe,
    I've been trying to send pictures but having trouble for some reason!

4. Scott M.

Scott M. Active Member

Hey guys ,
    I finally got some pictures to go through!
    Scott

Attached Files:

shoarthing likes this.
  5. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Scott/
    Thanks for the perseverance on trying to get those pics. It really helps. These are just conjectures and you can take them for what they are worth.... an opinion from from a few years of observation.
    I think you are correct your first decision that this was a a saw made after 1850 and I think you could take this time line even longer. The warranted superior medallion was very common after that time frame. What I find intriguing is the very "ad hoc" style of the stamp placement of the Edward Davies stamp. If it was from a more established firm it probably would have been very symmetrical and orderly. The assumption and probably what I would have thought "Cast Steel" really is haphazard and in a fashion I have never really seen and I am wondering if this might be more of an over stamp. I haven't found a merchant who may have stamped their name at that time and it might be better to look out of Sheffield but it may need a lot more investigation that way. Sorry, a lot of questions and not many answers. Some more minds might help...
    enjoy the saw anyways
    Joe S.

6. Underthedirt

Underthedirt Most Valued Member

That's a nice looking saw, it looks from the close up photo of the stamp that there could be some other letters stamped into the spine above the maker, is that an owner added stamp or some extra trademark?

Regards

Mari

7. Scott M.

Scott M. Active Member

Hi Mari,
    Those are a previous owners marks, one S. Little. It is stamped on the handle in a couple places too. Here's a better picture of the spine. I didn't realize in my first picture I didn't capture cast steel. Also, thanks Joe for the information. That's a good point that if it were from a more established firm the stamp would probably been in a more orderly fashion.
    Take care,
    Scott

Attached Files: