H. Cutter - backsaw - ID requested

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Dave Wojo, May 20, 2019.

1. Dave Wojo

Dave Wojo New Member

Greetings,
    This is my first post on backsaw.net and of course, like so many others, I'd like to request info about a saw I acquired. Most importantly, I read the thread on restoring ( http://www.backsaw.net/forum/index.php?threads/full-restoration-or-a-light-touch.994/ ) and I would like to know if this is a saw I should restore as a user or is this a more rare bird?
    The very thin plate is bent a bit at the tip and as you can see in the pix the teeth would need resharpening - reforming.
    I saw the other post on H. Cutler ( a person ) but it also seems there is a 'cutler' guild in Sheffield and that is bit confusing. I could not find the marks stamped on the back, but then again I don't have the resources you guys seem to have.
    Thanks in advance for any help you could offer,
    wojo

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  2. Dave Wojo

Dave Wojo New Member

Hmmm, I guess I should include the images - I uploaded them in the album H. Cutter dovetail saw
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry about that.

3. ray

ray Administrator Staff Member

Hi Dave,

At first glance it's a fairly plain looking saw, but on second look it gets more interesting, I would think it dates to mid 1800's maybe pre 1850, I could only find one reference to H Cutler it might be Hiram G Cutler 1837-1846.

The handle is in remarkable shape for a saw that's possibly 170 years old.

I think it's likely to be of interest to a collector, so I'd leave it as original as possible, and look for another saw as a user.

Regards
    Ray

4. Dave Wojo

Dave Wojo New Member

Hi Ray,
    Thanks for the quick response, I'll certainly take your advice on the 'light' touch approach here.
    Did you happen to find the makers mark in any of your resources?? I thought the fact that they are reasonably clear and deep may help.
    What you can't see in the pix is damage to the upper horn, looks like it suffered a 1" chip off the back edge. I also read in a thread here that a repair with similar aged wood may be acceptable on a collector's piece. I have seen many old expensive pieces of furniture and tools with professional repairs. In a non-throwaway society, this could have been your Grandfather's saw so to repair the damage YOU did may have been a no-brainier. Any thoughts on a repair for this particular piece, given that it's not my Grandfather's ??
    Thanks again,
    wojo

5. ray

Hi Wojo,

The repair is your choice, try to keep it original if possible.

There is no mark for H. CUTLER in BSSM, so Simon might be interested in adding your mark to his collection.

The approximate history as detailed in BSSM is
    In 1837 Cutler took over the premises and presumably continued the business of Furness Cutler & Stacey

1837-1856 CUTLER Hiram G Castle Hill
    1854-1862 CUTLER Hiram Son & CHAMBERS Castle Hill Works Castle Hill
    1864-1887 CHAMBERS Charles & Co Castle Hill Works Castle Hill

In 1889 the firm's trade marks, pattern books, labels and account books dating from 1780 were advertised in a Sheffield newspaper.

6. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Dave et al.
    Some years ago I posted a pic of a H Cutler saw in this post http://www.backsaw.net/forum/index.php?threads/hiram-cutler.298/#post-1796. Simon responded and the stamp was later sent to Simon and that is the one in the BSSM. I think I have another saw with a similar later stamp as you have in my stash and I will try and find it and post the pics.( This is not good when I say hope to find it.) Sharpen that saw up, wax everything and use it Dave. It will bring you pleasure every time you use it and it won't diminish the value.
    enjoy
    Joe S.

7. ray

Hi Joe,

Thanks for picking up that, I missed the CUTLER mark in BSSM, I should have looked a bit further down the page. :)

Agree on the pleasure of using a good quality saw with a bit of history.

Regards
    Ray

8. Dave Wojo

Dave Wojo New Member

@ray ,
    Thanks for the info on all the different Cutler's. I'm going to assume my Cutler was Hiram and go with that. As for the restore, I'm going to put that on hold for a bit till I can figure out how I feel about the whole thing. I sure would like to straighten the plate out though, that bothers me...
    Any help I can provide Simon for his book would be considered an honor. Please send my best regards and permissions, if I can find him I'll do it myself .

@Joe S ,
    I saw that saw when I was trying to figure out what I had - but the marks didn't match at all. This actually forced me to stop lurking and post mine! As far as actually using this particular saw well, lets just say it not the only one in my pile of possible 'users' and I don't want to make the mistake of taking all the age away from it. Like I told Ray, I'd really like to straighten it out a bit though.
    I have a more common Diston that I might try to restore - the cool thing about that one is the etch. It says something like 'Made exclusively for Haymaker Schlemer' or something similar.
    I'll post it if I can clean up the etch. I read something about gun-blue to darken etches. Do you recommend this technique?

Talk to you guys soon, lunch is just about ready!
    wojo