Groves

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by summerfi, Dec 7, 2018.

1. summerfi

summerfi Most Valued Member

Hi all,
    Here we have another of the ubiquitous Groves & Sons. This one may be early-ish, so I'm interested in hearing opinions on the date. The name stamp is Groves & Sons minus the R. for Richard. It is 18mm in length. While it is hard to see in the picture, there is a definite dot in CAST.STEEL. The ampersand may be reclining slightly, but it's hard to say. Perhaps the two screws instead of three is an indicator of early-ish-ness as well. What say ye?

Bob
    IMG_0871.jpg IMG_0872.jpg IMG_0875.jpg

2. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Bob
    Good early Groves saw. I would suggest an 1830-40 date. Prior to the corporate USE but a little later than the straight Groves and Sons with the reclining ampersand that would be a little earlier. You can confirm this with Simon's many pics dating in his BSSM. Handle looks like it is in great shape. A well loved saw.
    enjoy that one
    Joe S.

3. summerfi

summerfi Most Valued Member

Thanks Joe. That is consistent with what I was thinking. The closest match on the stamp in BSSM is 1830. I don't see many saws that early here, so it is definitely a good find.
    Bob

DTParch7 likes this.