John.Spear Cast.Steel

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by fred0325, Jan 7, 2016.

1. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hello all,

I got this from a Buy-it-Now at 29 days 22 hours. How it managed to last the two hours without being snapped up I don't know, but I am happy that it didn't.

I think that it has been suggested to me that this saw is not very many years away from a date of 1850 (although I have lost the email and so cannot be sure of this).

If this is the case then it will put the usage of cast(dot) forward by about 10 years, and this I find hard to believe. But, stranger things have happened and I like the mark just as much never mind what age it is (although it would be nice if it was an early mark).

And as for the first letter of "John", I know what I think it is;), but I will let you make up your own minds.

Fred

Attached Files:

2. Joe S

Joe S Most Valued Member

Hey Fred
    Nice one. Nice deal no matter what even if only 2 hrs. I think this one is going to be tough one as to date. Any of the early Spears I have seen or have posted over the last little while have only the name "Spear". See http://www.backsaw.net/forum/index.php?threads/four-spear-saws.656/ . It is also in a straight line as oppose to the arched " John Spear" and has a serrated edge but yours still has the two crowns. I thought this might have been the earliest of the Spear saws but I might have to rethink this. The "Cast.Steel" still says before 1840 to me. Tweener!
    Love this new variation.
    Joe S.

3. Underthedirt

Underthedirt Most Valued Member

An absolutely magnificent find Fred, the rotated crowns are unusual, thanks for sharing such a lovely saw.

Regards

Mari

4. summerfi

summerfi Most Valued Member

Nice Iohn Spear, Fred! :D
    It looks early to me.
    Bob

5. fred0325

Thank you all for your replies,

I don't think that it is a John Spear saw as, as you say Joe, I think that he marked his saws Spear only.

I think that this is a Spear and Jackson, but even so, it could still be from the mid 1830's. Does anyone know for reasonably certain when John Spear saws began to be made?

I really rate this mark with the opposed crowns, and the very elusive and idiosyncratic first letter of the name.

Fred

6. fred0325

Hello all,

I have just bought another one of these and I am now sure that it is Iohn Spear. I also know that I have the combined might of Simon and Wiktor against me on this viz:-

http://www.backsaw.net/forum/index.php?threads/iohn-spear.805/

(but thanks to David for weighing in with his opinion).

I am also now going for the "bright struck" Cast.Steel as being within a pre 1835 -ish time frame.

BSSM has Spear and Jackson as being at the Gibraltar works in 1833 but also has Samuel Jackson becoming a partner of John Spear and Co. in 1825. It is unclear when they started putting John Spear (as opposed to "Spear" only, or Spear and Jackson for that matter) but both these dates are early enough for cast (dot).

Anyway these crowns are the right way up at least.

If I remember rightly all 3 came from America which may mean a mark made specially for the American maarket , but why, eludes me.

Fred

Attached Files: