E. C. Conroy, Glasgow

Discussion in 'Forum: Saw Identification and Discussion' started by Araldite, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Araldite

Araldite Guest

I thought I would share a saw with you that I purchased some years ago, pre BSSM, that I don't think has been posted on this site. The saw is from E. C. (Edward C.) Conroy, Glasgow and I noticed in my database that I never checked Simon's book on this man after it came out. I looked him up in the book and found there wasn't much about him. The only thing I found at the time I bought it that provided a little more information was an article in The Herald Scotland from September 17, 1989, which is really about the Galbraith family, who took over E.C. Conroy Ltd., celebrating it's 100th anniversary and the great success they've had with it since then (it's now called The Saw Center or TSC). You can read it at http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/family-firm-that-won-national-acclaim-1.611368. The salient points I want to mention is that they state Conroy started it in 1889 as a saw sharpening and repair shop on Eglington St. and Galbraith took it in 1959 and continued it as a saw sharpening and repair shop and they are still on Eglington St. only further down at the 650 address. So 1889 to 1959 are the dates for E. C. Conroy. Since he started and ended as a repair shop I think it's safe to say the saws like mine were factored for him. Additionally, in the attached picture the saw is marked "Silver Steel / Elastic Spring Temper / Warranted" exactly like Grove and Colver Bros., which may be a clue as to where his saws came from.

Hopefully some of this is interesting to someone.

Vince

Attached Files:

2. fred0325

fred0325 Most Valued Member

Hi Vince,

It looks like you are right about Groves/Colver Bros, although I cannot work out a connection between these two in order to share the same "blurb".

But looking at your mark, it looks like the "Silver Steel" bit was almost certainly put on at manufacture, whereas the rest is a little skewed and may well have been put on by Mr. Conroy himself. Just a thought.

Fred

3. Araldite

Araldite Guest

Hi Fred,

I agree. Perhaps one was copying the other's marketing ploy; after all, silver steel elastic spring temper sounds really special.

The steel mark looks professionally done whereas the Conroy and Glasgow don't come close to matching each other much less line up. I also think it was Conroy himself.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Vince